Thief for a Bride (chapter six - The Honeymoon)

I'm sooo sorry it has taken this long to post! But chapter 6 is here now :) Hope you like it! 

Oh! And opinions on the cover art and song?

Genevieve awoke feeling warm but alone. She opened her eyes and found she was lying on her own pillow with the blankets tucked around her. She looked outside and found it was still dark and couldn't be any later that two or three in the morning. She yawned and saw La Cr- Desmond had started a fire in the fireplace that added warmth to the whole room. But Desmond himself was missing. She ran her hands over the bed and found it still had some warmth to it, meaning he couldn't have left more than a few minutes ago. 

She soon heard voices coming from downstairs and even though they were muffled she knew one of them belonged to her husband. She slid out of bed and pulled on her robe before padding over to the bedroom door. On her way she hit her foot of something big and bit her lip to keep from crying out as she cradled her toes in her hands. She could still here the two men talking and knew they hadn't heard her. She ran her hands along what she had kicked and realized it was a large trunk. There was a large lock on the front with no key in sight. She quietly opened the bedroom door and tiptoed down the stairs, stopping at the closed kitchen door. She pressed her ear to the door and could barely make out what her husband and the stranger were saying. 

"Nothing is going to happen," Desmond was assuring the stranger. "I only need two or three more days; four at the most. Everything will be fine." 

"Zut alors, mon ami!" the stranger cried and Genevieve realized she had heard that French accent at the wedding. Desmond shushed him, obviously trying not to wake her, and the man lowered his voice. "This has gone too far, Desmond. Any more trouble from you and it could make a lot more trouble for not only you, but you're innocent wife as well." 

"We'll be fine, Jean-Luc," Desmond reassured him. "And she is far less innocent then you give her credit for." Genevieve didn't know what Desmond was planning but it had the hairs on her neck standing on end. She heard someone push away from the kitchen table and turned to go upstairs when the kitchen door opened. Desmond stood in the doorway not looking a bit surprised to find her there. 

"I'm sorry we woke you," he said quietly. 

"Its fine," Genevieve said carefully. "I'm sorry if I interrupted something." 

"Not at all, madam," Jean-Luc said kindly as he stood and crossed the room towards her as Genevieve stepped into the kitchen. The floor was cold beneath her bare feet but it felt comfortable after being in the warm bedroom. Jean-Luc took her right hand in both of his. "It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Genevieve. Desmond whisked you off before any of us had a chance to meet you. I am Jean-Luc Lefevre." 

"It's very nice to meet you," Genevieve said with a smile. 

"I hope you didn't permanently damage your foot," Desmond whispered in her ear. She looked down at her toes and found the ones on her right foot were bright red from kicking the trunk. 

"Oh, I accidently ran into the trunk at the end of the bed," she explained as she turned to face her husband. "What do you have in there?" 

"It's nothing really," he replied simply. 

"Then why is it locked?" Genevieve countered. 

"There really isn't much in there," Desmond repeated, "but some of it is personal and I like my privacy." Desmond looked up just in time to see Jean-Luc roll his eyes and shake his head in annoyance. Genevieve let the subject drop and turned her attention back to Jean-Luc. 

"So how did you come to know my husband?" she asked and Desmond felt an odd sense of pride when she admitted he was her husband. 

"We have been friends since our childhood," Jean-Luc explained with a small chuckle. "I have been getting him in and out of trouble for the past few decades." Genevieve smiled at him. "What of you, madam? How did such a beautiful woman such as yourself become tied to this ruffian?" Genevieve felt Desmond stiffen behind her and knew he hadn't told Jean-Luc about how they met.