Book II | Prologue

Keira Knightly as Athena Pierce.

Steve parked his motorcycle in the big gravel driveway of the house. The surrounding meadows swayed lazily in the soft breeze.
He didn't remember it being this idyllic and calm.

Taking a deep breath he walked to the dark wooden double doors of the facility.
It began drizzling softly as he rang the doorbell, but Steve found himself enjoying the cold drops of rain rather than getting annoyed with the lousy autumn weather.

"Mr. Rogers! What a surprise! She'll be over the moon when I tell her she has a visitor!" Steve smiled at the older lady who opened the door for him and ushered him inside.
As usual, it was the head nurse, Eleanor.

The house smelled characteristically like hospital and grandma, but it was warm, bright and had a lot of natural light because of the many ceiling to floor windows.
Most of the furniture was wickerwork and it was almost as green on the inside of the building with all the houseplants and flowerpots as outside in the gardens.

"Is she doing alright?" Steve asked as he looked around at some of the other patients and their caretakers. Some of the patients were older, some of them were young. Eleanor had told them when they visited the first time that the age range was like that, because they took in veterans with both mental illnesses, such as PTSD, depression and anxiety, but also physical illnesses or problems that made it impossible to take care of themselves like multi-amputees and for some of the older residents, illnesses like Alzheimers or Parkinson's.

"She hasn't had an episode since Sam visited a couple of months ago. He used to come here regularly, but he's been so busy he's been calling instead and leaving small messages for her the last couple of weeks, sweet young man that one." The old lady said fondly.
Steve nodded and smiled at Eleanor. He knew Sam had visited at least once a week since they'd admitted her there. It was quite the drive, but Sam was used to handling veterans with PTSD and insisted that he might be able to help her.

"I think she's out by the old oak if you wanna see her. But Steve.. that nurse, Caroline, said she may be having a bad day." Caroline was the assigned nurse Fury had sent to take care of her. If he had the time he would probably have been her nurse himself, but unfortunately for Fury that wasn't an option. So the sweet, slightly chubby brunette was the second best.

"How bad?" Steve asked slightly concerned. "You can ask Caroline yourself, she's on the bench keeping an eye on her." Steve nodded and opened the sliding double door leading to the backyard.
The backyard was more of a huge field, with tall grass, soft hills, flowers and a single big and lonely tree landmarking one of the highest points, though it was only elevated approximately one or two meters over the rest of the landscape.