「Chapter 9 - Help Yourself」

"I have a few questions," he said. He looked up at Fire intently, causing a moderate blow of worry to overtake Fire's train of thought. Fire gulped, a hesitant look on his face.

It took Fire a moment to realize that he and Wind were standing (or floating) in the midst of a bridge. The stars were sparkling in the sky, the blazing summer air brushing against their faces. Not that the flaming spirit could feel it, anyway.

The archer leaned his back against the railing of the bridge, resting his arms on the top of the railing. He looked up at Fire, who was still hovering about in the air directly above him.

"...So. That happened." Wind finally spoke. The flaming spirit nodded in response.

"Did you genuinely feel that way the whole time Sea, Moon, and I were ignoring you?" Wind asked considerately.

Fire nodded hesitantly, "I've felt that way for a few years, actually. I think it started when the Cookie Kingdom began to grow in population." he declared, "I think I was in need of attention, and people just kinda...stopped liking me..."

Wind didn't know how to respond to that. Not just because he felt bad, but because he knew exactly why people stopped liking him.

"...And yeah, I do know why they didn't like me," Fire immediately said, as if he could read the green cookie's mind, "I'd started becoming...what's the word?"

"Vexing?" Wind proposed.

"Big word. Don't like it." Fire disputed. Wind rolled his eyes.

"So, why did you even decide to show up tonight?" Wind asked, "This isn't really your type of party, anyways."

"You act like it's your type of party as well." Fire shot back, smirking.

The archer rolled his eyes again, "Shut up. Just answer the question."

Fire was hesitant on replying, but decided to speak up anyway, "I wanted to see you tonight, actually. I kinda wanted to talk to you about that night."

Wind sighed and groaned, "I'm honestly really sorry about ignoring you all this time," he scratched the back of his head, "Sea, Moon, and I...really neglected you. I'll let you visit more often. In fact, I think Millie will force me to." he asked, a nervous half-smile planted on his face. He looked him right in the eyes.

"Yeah, I'm sorry too-"

"Ok, literally, please shut up?" Wind interrupted, showing off his toothy smile to Fire, "You don't need to apologize for anything!" he laughed.

That shut Fire the hell up. And made his flames shoot up in a shocked-like motion at his expression.

So basically, Fire knew for a fact that if he didn't confess sometime soon problems may arise. The simple glance of Wind's smile could make him melt into a puddle of shame, almost instantaneously force him to forget everything that just happened to him except for Wind's smile.

Okay, great. He only gets worked up over his smile. Shouldn't be too hard, right? Wind never smiles.

Right?

"Pfft." Fire snorted, "Those weren't even questions, dingus." Fire joked, ruffling Wind's leafy hair above him.

"Hey!" Wind scowled. Apparently hair touching is a no-no.

"Alright, since you got to ask questions, now I get to," he said, now lowering himself to the ground so he was a little closer to Wind, "How did Millie even manage to drag you of all people out here? It's not every day you see a Wind Archer Cookie out in the plaza." Fire asked, his hands going all over the place for the sake of hand gestures.

"Magic, I suppose." Wind joked.

"But really," Fire repeated, "How are you even related to him? I get the calm personality thing, but you're way more introverted. Not to mention--"

The archer beside him began to burst out laughing, holding his stomach with slightly heated cheeks.

Wh-

He began to tear up from all the laughter, "HAHA!! I'm sorry! Sorry, sorry! I-I just- I can't believe you actually thought this entire time that I was his son! HAAaa...!"

He gave Fire a playful punch on the arm, his laughing still not ceasing, "No, stupid! I'm his guardian! I was born to protect him! He's not my actual father, I have no parents!" he panted out, continuing to giggle.

The oblivious archer never bothered to check up on Fire. As soon as Wind had started laughing, Fire flinched and his cheeks turned a beet red. His flames shot up and his hair filled with more and more heart sparks.

The green cookie continued to giggle hysterically. It made absolutely no sense to Fire as to why he was laughing so hard at such a simple mistake, but he was not going to complain.

To Fire, Wind looked so...perfect like this. His cheeks had a slight tint of green clouding it, along with his beautifully satisfying laugh. It was kind of raspy, with some hiccups in between each breath, along with a wide smile to top it all off.

Heat continued to rise to Fire's cheeks. He became dizzy. Wait, no, no! Fire! Don't do something you'll regret, you cretin!

Out of complete and utter instinct and how mesmerized he was by Wind's everything, when Wind had begun to calm down, Fire started leaning into him, face a crimson red. He lowered his feet closer to the ground, and at the moment he'd completely forgotten the definition of personal space, Wind looked up, becoming increasingly confused.

And then Wind felt warm lips meet his.

Fire almost immediately came to the realization of what he just did. His hair waved and waved with heart embers flaming off of the end. He began to panic. What the hell was he doing? Why hadn't he pulled away already? But, surprisingly, Wind had returned the sweet kiss, closing his eyes intently. Fire could taste slight hints of nectar and pine on the other's lips, which made the moment feel even warmer.

Wind, in a state of shock, not knowing what was going on, decided to return the kiss. Not once did he ever consider doing this with Fire of all cookies. Not once did he ever expect that this would be the result of just spending some time alone with him. But curiously, this felt...right. Their lips fit perfectly as if it was meant to be. Wind tasted hints of caramel and alcohol from Fire, the taste sweet and almost euphoric to him.

Fire was slightly panicked. Wind was in a state of utter confusion.

Then, they pulled away, gazing into each other's eyes.

Wind moved away from Fire's grasp in an almost instant. His expression was unreadable. It had hints of worry and panic, but also confusion.

Then he ran.

----------------------------------
bru  h
one more chapter let's go bois