Chapter Eight - Is This The End?

I scrambled to my paws as Ceraron charged into my attackers. His wounds were slathered with herbal poultices and hastily bandaged with broad leaves. One leaf tore away from his side and fluttered into the face of his enemy, blinding him. I took the chance and leaped at him, tackling the Caedes wolf to the ground as Ceraron's wolves ran at the vicious Pack. Wing came barreling over to help the cream-furred wolf with a particularly tough wolf. I could hear him hiss into Wing's ear as they both leaped together.

"Wing, are you kidding me!? You just met him, and you're already smitten? And he's got such a terrible family, are you sure you want to deal with this?"

Wing rolled her eyes. "You're the most over protective brother this side of Aurea, Ceraron. And he's charming."

That's all I heard before I lost sight of the two.

Whoa, they're siblings!? Wasn't expecting that! But she says I'm charming! FOCUS, SLEEK!

I sprang back to avoid the large white wolf I had run into earlier with Ceraron. His paws thumped dully on the ground, his mighty jaws snapping shut on empty air that my throat had once occupied. I guess the whole no killing thing has been forgotten. Oh well.

Skirting around him, I tried to find a weak point, but there were none that I could see. He was a strong, healthy wolf. A large, strong, healthy wolf. Oh joy. I flattened my ears, trying to look about as ticked off as possible, trying to intimidate the beast. Yeah, that didn't work. He charged, and I barely got out of the way in time. I wasn't sure I could beat this guy, and I was even less sure that Ceraron's Pack wolves could best Caedes. Sure, they had been winning at first, but that was only because they had taken them by surprise. I didn't think we could win. I glanced around and saw that the Pack wolves were needing to pair off to take down a single wolf. We were spread too thin.

I scanned the battle and saw that the Caedes wolves were drawing pairs away, dancing just out of reach and stirring them to strike again and again until more of the brutal beasts could cut off their escape and finish them off. In the chaos, nobody could see what was happening.

"Everybody! To me, now! Don't get separated!" I howled, loud as I possibly could. I could see some heads turn, and those who didn't hear were told by those whose attention I had gotten. The Pack came bounding towards me, gathering around me and facing outward to drive back any pursuers.

"We need three groups! One will be in front! Those in the second group will replace wolves from the first group is they cannot fight any longer. The third group will take the wounded out of the way so they do not get in the way or get killed. Now form up!"

I was surprised that they listened to me. I wasn't their Alpha. But that didn't matter to them at the moment. They had only come to fend off this threat, it didn't matter how they went about doing it. I was a little hurt that they couldn't care less about me, but it wasn't like I didn't expect it. If Root were here, they'd follow him, not me. But at least they were listening to me now.

The Pack split up into three equal groups and quickly went to their positions before Caedes had a chance to strike. They gathered themselves into a strong defensive formation. They hadn't followed my orders exactly, though. They took a few creative liberties, showing just how smoothly they ran and how much better than me they were at battle tactics. They formed sub-groups with barely a word exchanged. The commands rippled through the Pack in a river of ear flicks and tail gestures, all those words and orders passed with a few simple motions. It was one of the few times I'd ever been truly impressed by a Pack, but that was because I'd never been in one. They worked together so incredibly well. I was almost jealous. Almost. But not quite. Okay, maybe a little.