Chapter Five - Unwelcome Invitation

What is Ceraron thinking?! Why would he confront them alone?! Well, I was about to do the same thing, but still!

The cream-furred wolf snarled as the Caedes members recovered from their shock. They advanced on Ceraron, no doubt thinking about how fun it would be to kill him. They would tear him to pieces. Just like Sly. I tried to move, but my legs refused to budge. I was rooted to the spot as sudden fear washed over me. What was I thinking? I would never have been able to take on the Caedes wolves. I had no hope of defeating them.

Quick, while they're distracted! I can run, I can get away! I'll flee as far away from here as I can. It's not my fault Ceraron is going to die, there's nothing I can do! I can't do anything. I'm weak, and useless, and I need to run! No! I won't run! They'll kill Ceraron! I can't run, I have to help him, I have to! Come on, MOVE!

But I couldn't move. I watched silently as the confrontation escalated, unable to do a thing as my thoughts raged inside my head, my instincts and emotions duking it out to see which would come out on top. I wanted to run, but I had to stay. I didn't know what to do. I wasn't brave. I wasn't valiant. I was about as noble as a flea. I wasn't a hero. But I had to make a choice.

The wolves were charging Ceraron, the she-wolf lashign out and slashing at his flank. He tried to get away from her, but the white wolf that had been closest to me bit his shoulder. They were closing in on Ceraron, and he was getting desperate. He lashed out at the wolves, his eyes filled with the feral ferocity of an animal fighting for its life. I could see nothing but a wild fear in them - the same look frozen onto Sly's face.

That was all it took for me to snap. A seething rage surged up from deep inside, burning in my heart like a wildfire. I let loose a bone-chilling howl and charged straight at the black she-wolf. The Caedes wolves jumped, startled at my sudden appearance as I leaped into the fray. I took the black wolf to the ground, my jaws snapping next to her throat as she frantically tried to push me away. I could see the fear in her eyes, the wild frenzied panic. I do not kill innocent wolves. So I had no qualms about snapping her neck like a twig between my paws. I dropped her limp head and flicked my eyes onto my next target - the gray wolf.

The wolf squealed, terrified. "It's the bicolor-eyed wolf!"

"STOP CALLING ME THAT!" I roared as I bowled him over.

I felt teeth sinking into my scruff as I was dragged off of the gray wolf. I struck out wildly, catching a claw in the white wolf's chest fur. He let out a muffled yelp, but he did not drop me. Ceraron was backed against a tree by the brown wolf and the other white one. The gray one ran over to try and pin me.

But I was done being forced to the ground. I was tired of being beaten. I was sick of living in fear of these wolves. I wasn't about to let them win. Not now, not ever. I lashed out again, kicking the gray wolf's nose with a painful blow. I writhed around, but I still could not escape my other assailant's grip. This was dangerous. If I didn't get away from him quick, he could easily kill me.

If he could kill me so easily, then why hasn't he already? None of the wolves have actually tried to land a killing blow on me, even though they were obviously trying to kill Ceraron. That has to mean something. Now I just need to find out what. Though this does give me the upper paw!

I dug my claws into the grass and threw myself into a roll. The white wolf was yanked forward, and he sailed over my head and crashed to the ground a couple pawlengths away as I tumbled across the grass. As expected, the gray wolf was upon me in an instant, seeing my jumbled state as an opportunity to attack.

Big mistake.

I waited for him to come closer, pretending to be dazed. The gray wolf leaped at me, yelling out triumphantly.