Miracle Child

Rosella proved difficult to pry from her mother and father after an entire day with them. Gothel had had to explain, quite forcefully, that she was only allowed to be in the sight of her mother until the sun set, or they would be in breach of their deal. Rosella seemed to understand this perfectly, but didn't care about the consequences at all.

"But I'm special, magic can't hurt me! Look, my neck, no scars." She had said, but eventually Gothel disappeared with her in her arms, much to Rosella's indignance. She was easily placated though, a run around in the forest as a wolf alongside Gothel and all was forgiven.

By August, Sepp and Kristof were managing to grow stubby tails and the beginnings of wolf ears on their heads when they really focussed their magic, but the cuts on their necks were far too deep to allow them to continue this regularly. Of course, Rosella offered to heal them, but they didn't want her too. It seemed they did not like being overly helped by a girl, especially Sepp, who found his dignity at stake as he was almost a whole year older than her. The most frustrated of them all by far was Franziska, who was unable to do anything magical. She tried much harder than the boys, but always produced no results.

Autumn came, and Rosella's birthday approached. She showed little, if not no interest in gifts or material things, she was only excited about seeing her friends and becoming five, something she had been excited about for some time. She reasoned "If I am five, I am the same as Sepp, and so he can't tell me he's older and knows more than me!" She explained to Gothel one day as she was brushing out her hair.

"Do you like your hair Rosella?" Gothel asked, fastening the end of her braid with a red silk bow. She still had not cut it, she couldn't bring herself to, and it was now to her elbows even when curly. Rose made a non-committal noise and pushed it behind her shoulders, unimpressed by the shimmering beauty atop her head. Gothel almost laughed, the little girl was so funny! She was more interested in running around in the forest with friends not of her species and coming home muddy than what you might call 'normal' interests in a girl her age.

Franziska was already learning to embroider and make clothing, and every morning and night she brushed out her brown straight hair herself. She loved to dress in sparkly things and 'oooh'ed and 'ahhh'ed over her aunt's silver jewellery. And yet, she was so different from Rosella, but then they had a friendship so strong it was undeniable, and unspoken. No one in the village understood them, but thought it amusing to watch as they each tried to convince the other that her way was more important.

Yule arrived, and this year Rosella and Gothel were not alone in their celebrations. For the first time they attended the village party in Hilda's tavern, Franziska's aunt, and found they actually quite enjoyed themselves. It was the icing on the cake at the very last moment when, for their enjoyment, Rosella turned herself into her little white wolf-cub. The people began to panic.

"What? She's too young! She'll hurt herself!!" "Quick, change her back! Are their any magical people in here? Change her back!" "She's going to die of blood loss! Dame Gothel, help!"

But Gothel only stood and laughed, knowing that Rosella was fine and did not need any assistance. People began to stare, wondering if the woman had gone mad. They began whispering, we should've known not to trust a Hexe! Now an innocent girl will die, and we cannot help her!

"Do not worry yourselves, Rosella is a natural phenomenon, she suffers no punishment for her magic. I know, it is impossible, but look! No blood!" Gothel laughed, and they all turned to see Rosella, now a human child again, was sat on the floor, eyes wide, looking up at everyone in surprise.

"Magic doesn't hurt me!" She said quickly, looking as though she was trying to convince everyone. People just stared, and she stared back. "Don't stare at me!" She said indignantly. No one looked away, so she fidgeted a little, nervous. Then, she was gone.

"What? Where did she go?!" people began asking, looking from one to another.

"Rosella? Rosella, where have you gone my dear?" Gothel asked, slightly anxious at her disappearance.

"I'm still here Gothel, I'm just invisible."  They heard, and the sound echoed around the room.

"She is a miracle!" The blacksmith called, and they all began reaching forward to touch her, to touch the miracle child.

"What are you doing? Why are you touching me?!" She squealed, and wriggled around.

"Because you're a miracle, Rose! You're a miracle!"