I Don't Know Where to Start

Start from the beginning

"What's happening?" He asked. I threw my arms around his waist, hugging him tightly. Michael was frozen at first, but as I began to calm down and he heard my breathing strengthen, he placed his hands on my back.

I shut my eyes tightly, focusing my mind on how everything felt; I was embraced in his body warmth which was extremely warm, his button up felt soft and smelled fresh, my cheek was pressed against his chest. He wasn't bulky like those who went to the gym, but he wasn't so skinny as though his metabolism was extremely fast.

Once I was able to breathe better, I realized what I was doing. I pulled myself off of him and stormed out. I was completely embarrassed and confused. Why did I have a panic attack? Why did I hug him? I felt so stupid.

I undressed myself as soon as I got to my room. I just wanted to lay in bed and let the embarrassment sink in to get over it faster.

I hung up my only clothes nicely on the hangers and closed them away in the big closet. I found my old shirt I woke up in and threw it on. I quickly got myself under the covers of the bed and laid there. Now how am I going to face him after doing something like that?

***

The next morning, I was yanked out of bed. It was one of the other two women that stood beside Ms. Venable yesterday. She had short slicked back hair and dark lipstick.

"Get up. You're late for breakfast." She said. I quickly got up and pulled my clothing from the closet. The woman left, shutting the door behind her. I left the cape coat in my closet, I didn't need to look extra for breakfast. I put the black dress on and called it a morning.

I was in disbelief that we had basically one piece of clothing and shoes, and I was stuck with these boots with a fat heel. I mean, it was better than the daily Victorian party going on downstairs so I can't really complain.

Everyone was sitting at a long dinner table. They all stared, as expected. Gallant patted the empty chair next to him, reserving it for me. I slipped into the large fancy chair and looked around at the rest of those at the table. They were all silent.

We listened very closely as we heard small wheels coming our way. On a push cart were plates with ...jello squares?

Mallory placed a plate in front of each of us at the table. I looked at Gallant oddly confused.

"I know." He said.

"It has every vitamin your body needs. Eat." Venable appeared before us all. She directly spoke to me. I didn't speak, just ate. It was bland, very bland. I swallowed it down for the most part.

"You should savor it since that's all you get." Evie chimed over to me.

"No matter how we eat it, we're starving." I responded.

"Nana. Gia. Gia. Nana." Gallant added pointing at us both.

"Nana? That's nice, at least you have someone." I nodded.

"Sure." Gallant muttered. Evie gave a stern look to Gallant then flashed a kind smile my way.

"Wouldn't want to be with anybody else." She sounded so star struck, as though she was a Hollywood start from the fifties.

I felt anxious just sitting still in my seat. I wanted to start carving pictures into the table with the useless butterknife they provided us. I shook my leg and tried to be relaxed. I didn't want to think about what happened yesterday. I felt like such a clown.

"Gia," Venable's voice was recognizable without having to look at her. "Langdon would like to speak to you tonight."

I looked up at her and quietly nodded. I could feel her stares piercing through me. I was anxious enough, and embarrassed enough, but now I think I should just ...take a walk outside.

"This will be your breakfast, lunch and dinner. We will be cutting portions to preserve sustenance." Venable announced.

"What?!" Everyone yelled and looked at her upsetting.

"We're already starving!" Coco was beyond upset.

"Oh calm down. It will help your figure." Evie grinned and continued to cut off a piece of her cube with a fork and knife as if it were a piece of steak or something.

I just bit my tongue and sat silently in my seat while everyone yelled and argued.

"Quiet!" The much taller woman yelled, silencing everyone. She stood beside Venable proudly.

The other older woman from this morning stood on the other side of Venable with a sharp look. She didn't like any of us, it was written all over her face. But the way she looked at Venable... it was like she was proud of her.

"Eat. Do not complain." Venable closed off. Her as well as her side women walked out altogether. "You should be grateful we even have anything to eat. Unlike the cannibals outside." Her evil voice echoed from the hall.

Cannibals?

What the hell is going on out there?

"Oh yeah," Emily chimed. "we forgot to mention that everyone outside these walls eat flesh to survive."

I just bit my tongue and kept all thoughts and comments to myself. I am not getting acquainted. The extremely tall woman had stomped into the room and did so while staring dead at me.

"Gia. By request of Langdon, you are to meet him after your meal." She said then automatically made her way out. All eyes darted at me with confusion and curiosity.

"He's asked to see you again." Coco stated.

"He also asked to meet with you last night. Did you?" Timothy asked.

"Did you sleep with him?" Gallant asked rudely with a face of hurt and anger.

"Yes I met with him and no! I did not sleep with him." I was baffled by the context he was assuming. But more confused as to why he even thought that.

I stabbed the jello square and ate it in one bite. I pushed my seat back so I could get up and leave. I wanted to get whatever it is over with. I realized as I was walking that I didn't know where Michael was. The woman didn't say where to meet him. I first checked the study where we spoke last night, but he wasn't there. The only other place I could think of was his room, but I didn't know which room was which. So I peeked into every one of them. Down the last hallway I needed to check, one door was cracked open a bit. I knocked twice and instantly Michael's voice responded.

"Come in."

"You asked to see me?" I said as I came in.

"Shut the door." He said. I did as told, and I suddenly felt really warm. The air in the room was balmy all of a sudden. "So, what do you think?"

"About?"

"Joining me to the Sanctuary." His smile was evil. So disingenuous.

"I don't know."

I definitely turned that smile upside down.