LILLIAN

November 2019

Lillian sat at the edge of the river, her feet hanging in the cool water. The birth of the winter months were evident from the gloomy skies and cool air shifting through her raven black hair. It had been several days since Catherine went missing, and come to find out she was dead all along. Old hags of their neighborhood would say that the water took her. Of course everyone knew the stories of the river, those who got too close would die there. Lillian didn't believe in the stories but now she started to conceive the thought.

The wind began to grow stronger as she stood. Her legs felt as if they would snap from beneath her. Lillian loomed on the platform she'd been standing on. Below her lied an unforgiving river, the water rushing violently against rocks and gravel. Only a few feet away, Catherine was brutally murdered. The thought flashed into Lillian's mind, why hadn't someone else been taken, why Catherine.

She replayed the moment from earlier that summer, Catherine fantasized about moving to France or America. Her blonde hair had illuminated in the rare sunlight, her pale skin radiated the red t-shirt she'd been wearing that day Lillian was now wearing. Lillian held the shirt to her stomach, and then the tears.

She crumbled as the tears turned into sobs. She stared at the river, and cursed it with her soul. The wind began to swirl around her as the sound of her sobs grew.

Delicately she undid her pony tail, her black locks falling onto her shoulders like drapes. Then she gingerly pulled her shirt over her head her chest bare and open. She took her phone out of her pocket, setting it into the red shirt.

Below her lied an unforgiving current that surely sweep her away until she drowned. As she stepped closer to the edge of the platform, her feet crazed against soil and grass. The drop was a mere 3 meters, with jagged rocks some of the way down. The wind whipped around her bare skin.

"I'm sorry," she whispered into the wind as she let her foot slip every so slightly. She gasped when her feet lost traction and her body fell below the ledge she'd just been standing on. As she fell, her back to the water, her hair whipped around her face there was no turning back.

Her screams filled the air.

Her body slammed into the rocks.

Her screams died in the wind.

Her body hit the water.

She was of the water.