one

• • •
Unexpected is how Dakota would describe everything, no one could have expected this to happen, well almost no one.
Dakota definitely didn't.
He was just sitting on the couch speaking to his friends online when it happened.
The people on the tv, no not people; the dead.
This wasn't supposed to happen, this wasn't right, it wasn't fair.

The tv showed that the dead was walking. They were killing, eating people.
Dakota didn't understand. Why would that happen; how did it happen.

The tv told everyone to stay inside their homes but how would that help? Dakota definitely didn't listen to that. That's how he ended up where he was right now, at the farm of the Greene family. At least he wasn't alone in this now apocalyptic world...

• • •

Hershel was a nice man, Dakota was grateful to him. He did let him move into his home and took him under his wing. So when Dakota found out that they had kept the dead in their barn, he honestly didn't know what to expect.

Hershel thinks that there will be a cure, that there is still something left of what they once were, of who they once were. Even though Dakota didn't quite believe that, he felt sorry for the man and his family. Their family and friends were in the barn, no wonder they didn't accept what had happened to the world.

Dakota didn't share his thoughts on the matter, nervous that he would say something the farmer didn't like and he would be forced to leave.

They are currently having dinner right now, it was a big step up from the meals he would normally eat at home. These were home cooked meals, Dakota usually had to have tv dinners or canned food since his mother was almost never home and he didn't quite know how to cook.

There was the occasional leftovers from the night before or from another time their mother actually made food, but he always made sure his sister and brother were fed which usually didn't leave much for him.

So he was very surprised when Hershel's daughters had made a meal that filled up the entire table, he thought that what he normally had was normal for a family.

Hershel has two daughters, the eldest being Maggie and the younger being Beth. Maggie had a daughter who's name was Luci. She was quite young, Dakota felt bad for her. She has to grow up in this. There was also a woman and man he had let stay here, they came before Dakota. Their names were Patricia and Otis. Beth also had a boyfriend who was staying on the farm, his name was Jimmy. Dakota thought the people were nice but they weren't going to last if they didn't open their eyes to the new world.

"Dakota?" the boy looked up to see Maggie looking over at him "Can you pass the rolls please?" the woman asked with a smile, looking from the bowl next to him back over to him

The teen handed the bowl to the young woman with a small smile before looking back down at his food.

"So," Hershel started, not looking up from his plate, getting the attention of the boy "where are your family? You couldn't have been alone before this."

Dakota's eyes moved around the room before eventually landing on Hershel's, not having seen him look up from his plate.

"My mother and siblings weren't home at the time, sir. I was sitting on the couch talking to my friends on the phone when I saw what was happening on the news."

Dakota was given a few sad looks from people around the table. Though he understood why they did it, it annoyed him a bit.

He didn't need the looks from them, he knew what they thought about it. That his family was most likely gone.

Dakota didn't believe that though.

Maybe he was in denial but he believed that his brother and sister were still alive.

He fully believed it and he was going to find them.