XXXI. Haunting Nightmares

Chapter Thirty-One
Soroya

Not being able to sleep, I put on my robe and silently walk out of my bedroom, trying not to wake Bucky. The palace is very peaceful at night, all of Wakanda is. The buildings shine from the light of the moon, and the lights flood in through the windows of the palace, making the halls glow in a golden hue.

This is especially calming because I had another nightmare. It isn't like the nightmares I had when Analiese kept me captive. I'm grateful those are over. This one was me being strapped down, watching as Alex, Khari, and Bucky were shot in front of me. I had to watch their bodies fall to the ground, watch their blood pool on the floor. The three people who shot them then revealed themselves; Thanos, Analiese, and Emma Becker. The person keeping me strapped down was Setherton, laughing along with the others as they stare down at three people I love most lie cold on the ground.

I don't think I'll ever get over the fear and anxiety of losing Alex and Bucky again. Khari the last few nights has been included in these dreams, because now I know our quartet will become a trio one day. That very thought fills me with so much agony I can barely breathe.

I remember making a promise to myself that I wouldn't let fear drive me anymore, and that I would live life to the fullest no matter what life throws at me. I can't protect them from everything, nor will I try to. I could spend my days worrying about horrible things happening to them, but there isn't a point. I don't want to let Thanos, Analiese, Becker, and Setherton to rule my life. They have no power over me, not anymore. Of course this is easier said than done. But I'm going to try.

As I walk through the palace, I find that the light in the throne room is still on. I make my way towards it, pushing the door open to find T'Challa leaning against the window, starring out at his kingdom.

He hears the door open, turning towards me. "Shouldn't you be resting?"

I shut the door, walking across the room towards him. "I couldn't sleep. Apparently I'm not the only one. What's bothering you?"

I lean against the window myself, seeing the glow of the light make T'Challa's dark brown eyes turn gold. "It's been a transition coming back," He tells me. "For me it's only been a few weeks, but to everyone else it's been five years. My kingdom has changed in many ways but stayed the same in others. As have my people."

I shake my head, crossing my arms. "I'm sorry I've caused problems. Okoye told me about the meeting—"

"Don't you dare apologize. It's not your fault. I'm only sorry I haven't been more help to you the past few weeks."

"You're their king. Your priorities are here."

"You're my priority too. You're one of my closest friends and most trusted ally. I'll try to help you any way I can, even if I can't physically be with you. I really made the council members mad when I spent a week looking for you in Russia."

I nod, reaching my hand out to his, linking my fingers with his. "Did Shuri tell you about the cure she and Bruce have come up with? And what we would need to do?"

He nods. "You'd need to bring her here. We will keep watch over Remington the entire time she's here. I think it will work."

"I do too. Once we are certain she can't shift anymore, I'll call Everett and tell him that we've captured her. Do you want me to tell him to come here?"