XVIII. All The Answers

Start from the beginning

"Why did you want us alone?" Bruce asks.

I glance at Bucky for a moment, before looking back up at Bruce. "I have some questions about my powers, now that we have all this information," I begin, watching Bruce and Shuri wait patiently for me to continue. "I was wondering if my powers have had any side effects I don't know about. Have they effected anything in my body...any organs or normal functions?"

Bruce glances at Shuri, who nods her head. Bruce then leans against the wall, taking a moment before saying; "We calculated something about your cells. With the regenerative powers and endless amount of stem cells you have...it's more than likely you have a longer life span than an average human."

That wasn't what I was expecting him to say. Bucky and I glance at each other, before looking back at Bruce. "How much longer are we talking about?"

Shuri shrugs. "Anywhere between one hundred and fifty to one hundred and seventy years. You're in excellent shape though, so maybe one hundred and eighty."

I really wasn't expecting that. "So...so that applies to Alex as well?"

Shuri nods. "It does. I wasn't going to tell you both today, because there's so much going on. I didn't want to have to tell Alex he'll outlive Khari by several decades."

My heart sinks, realizing this myself. But I feel my heart stop all together as I look at Bucky again, already feeling panic at the thought of having to go through his death all over again.

Shuri sees my panic, but gives me a reassuring look. "I've done many tests on Bucky, so I can assure you, he has elongated life as well. His serum gives him regenerative powers as well as a body that functions four times faster than an average person. He'll probably live to around one hundred and seventy or eighty as well."

I don't know if I can handle telling Alex this news, but I guess I have to. I almost feel guilty; Alex will outlive Khari while Bucky and I are still together. It wasn't fair. The thought of going through Khari's death...I can't even fathom it.

I should have realized that Alex and I age differently; and I look much younger than we actually are. I especially should have guessed this because Analiese looks our age, when in reality she's forty three. I don't know why I didn't piece that together earlier, especially since I knew how old Julian should have been if he were alive.

I don't want to think about any of this anymore, so I finally bring myself to ask what I've wanted to know; "Can I have children? Do my powers allow me to?"

Shuri instantly looks excited, so I clarify. "I'm not having children right now...but I want to know if that's in the cards for me."

Bruce and Shuri both nod their heads. "From what we've seen, you shouldn't have a problem at all. Now, I don't recommend shifting when you do get pregnant. That could be a disaster. When you do get pregnant, you should really have us monitor everything, just to make sure things go smoothly."

"What do you mean?"

"Both of your serums are imbedded in your genetic code," Shuri explains. "Any kid of yours will have both of your powers. If you shifted while pregnant, your baby could stay a human, which would kill you both. Or the baby could shift along with you and refuse to shift back when you become a human again...which would kill you both. When you couldn't control your powers, you shifted all the time...so your baby might do the same. This is uncharted territory; you and Alex were children when you got your powers, but your baby would be born with them."

I didn't think about that. That makes sense though...do I want to force a child to have my powers? Do I want to rob my child of their choices? Like I was robbed of mine?

I don't want to think about that now either, or any of the information I just got today. Quite frankly, I want to scream and cry. I'm so angry, angrier than I have been in a while. The only family I had for years, the only friend I had, was the reason I have my powers. I am going to live longer, and watch all of my friends grow old and die. Any child I have would have my powers, they would be forced to bear that weight their whole life.

I look over at Bucky, shaking my head. I feel very tired all of the sudden, like my mind and body is shutting down. Feeling my throat begun to tighten up, and my eyes grow cloudy, I grip his shoulders tightly. "Can you take me to our room? I-I want to lay down."

Bucky nods, kissing my temple again before helping me off the table. "Anything, sweetheart."