XVIII. All The Answers

Start from the beginning

This is a lot to take in. I feel a headache coming on from just trying to process all of the information I've been given.

I glance over at Alex, seeing the same look of confusion in his eyes. Khari is running his hand up and down Alex's back in an effort to relax him, but I don't think anything could make either of feel better now.

"What kind of radiation?" Alex asks.

Bruce shakes his head, a look of irony on his face. "Gamma radiation. Looks like I'm not the only victim of it."

Bucky lets out a sigh, wrapping his arm around my waste. "Analiese Remington can shapeshift and she resigned before PROJECT SHIFTER. How does that work if she only have one of the serums?"

"Well if you only have PROJECT SHIFTER than it would kill you. With her genetic quirk and PROJECT SAVAGE, you can shapeshift. The radiation is the key though, like I said," Shuri says. "When Bruce here gets angry, his radiation triggers a chain reaction in his body that brings out the Hulk. For you and Alex, your brain signals trigger the radiation to change your cells. This is thanks to the other chemical components Becker put in. Analiese Remington doesn't have the radiation, so my guess is that she can't control her shifting at all. Without the radiation, her cells just change at random times to a random animal."

I rub at my temples, piecing everything together. I think aloud; "When I first met her, she said she needed me for something. Before she could do anything she shifted. She didn't look in control at all...so maybe that's why she wants me. She wants me to help her control her powers."

"Do we think she's the one who tampered with your serum in the first place?" Okoye wonders.

T'Challa rubs at his chin, contemplating this. "But how? And for what reason? She wasn't even in HYDRA when PROJECT SHIFTER started."

I close my eyes, feeling my heart sink in my chest. "But Julian was," I say softly. "For whatever reason she gave herself the serum, and when she realized she couldn't control herself, she resigned. Julian stayed in HYDRA...he must have taken a sample of Analiese's DNA and put in our batch of serum."

"But for what purpose?" Nakia asks.

I shrug. "Maybe he thought the combination of the two serums would allow a subject to control their powers...which is why he was assigned to help me control my powers. He must have wanted to see if controlling shapeshifting was possible...because he was trying to help his sister...not because he was trying to help me."

Bucky tightens his grip on me, using his other hand to grip mine. Everyone becomes very silent, all starring at me in mixed expressions of pity and anger. Feeling tears prickle in my eyes, I clear my throat. "Could I have a moment alone with Shuri and Bruce. Please?"

Everybody nods, even Alex, who no doubt wants some time alone to process all we just learned. Bucky loosens his grip on me, asking; "Does that include me, too?"

I shake my head, pressing my forehead against his. "No, I want you to stay."

Once everyone has left, Shuri grips both of my hands tightly, shaking her head. "I'm so sorry, Soroya."

I shake my head, gripping her hands tightly. "You've been such a tremendous help. You gave me answers, and for that I'm so grateful, to the both of you." I say, nodding to Bruce as well.