XV. It Wasn't A Mistake

Start from the beginning

-

Soroya has been talking to the chief and his deputy for quite some time now. I didn't want to get in the way, so I've been sitting in the tree in our backyard, the one I used to climb all the time when I wanted to be alone. But right now, there was one person I really needed to talk to. I press on my Kimoyo Beads, feeling a sigh of relief come out of me as Khari's face appears.

Khari looks just as relived to see me. "You're alright aren't you? Are you calling to tell me something went wrong?"

I shake my head. "Another attack happened, didn't Okoye tell you?"

He shakes his head. "I'm sure she was going to, but she and the others are busy trying to find any information on Remington. They're having no luck yet. Soroya called me earlier and told me what you three found though. How are you doing?"

I shake my head. "Not good. I spent so long not knowing what was wrong with me, wondering day and night what had happened to me. I just finally thought I knew who and what I was. Now I'm back to square one."

"No matter how you got your powers, you are still the same man. This is just a slight set back and in no time you'll have all the answers. I know it."

I lean my head back against the trunk of the tree, feeling my heart ache. I wish more than anything he was here with me. "The attack was at our old house."

Khari's tone grows more serious. "The couple is dead?"

I nod. "We got to go inside the house...and I can't even describe what it felt like to be there again. I was in my old living room, I saw my old bedroom, I saw the basement. Right now I'm in the backyard I used to play trains in as a kid. Even though this is a horrible occasion, part of me feels really happy. Its like Soroya and I have been allowed a few hours to be children again."

Khari smiles at me sadly, and I can see the same ache in his eyes. "I wish I could be there with you. You shouldn't have had to go through this alone."

I shake my head, letting out a sigh. "I'm not alone. I have Soroya and the old man with me. And even when you're not here, you're only a few second holographic phone call away."

"A holograph isn't good enough for me."

"Khari," I say, hoping my reassuring words will convey through the hologram. "I'm not going to blow away in the wind. I'm alright. I'm not turning into ashes anytime soon."

Khari pinches the bridge of his nose, nodding his head, more to himself than to me. "I know. And I know you're perfectly capable of taking care of yourself. I'm trying really hard not to be overbearing, but it's proving to be difficult."

"You're not being overbearing, but I hate the constant look of panic in your eyes. I just wish you would relax. You're going to get wrinkles from how much you tense up."

Khari lets out a chuckle. "And without my looks, I don't have a chance at keeping you tied down."

I nod sarcastically. "Well, of course. You know I'm only with you because you're an incredibly sexy man. Once I see one wrinkle I'm packing my bags."

Khari sighs. "You flirting with me and making sarcastic comments only makes me miss you more. When are you three coming home?"

"After Soroya is done playing superhero for tonight. She's talking with the chief of police here in Hamburg. We should be home in a few hours."

"How is she doing?"

I look over towards where she stands, a stoic look on her face as she talks to the chief. "She's doing what she needs to do. She's a fighter. I pity Remington when she shows her face again."

A look of pride goes over Khari. "So do I. Will you call me when you are approaching the barrier?"

I nod to him. "I will," I say, swinging my legs over the branch and jumping down to the ground. "I love you."

Khari smiles, wide and beautiful, making his hazel eyes crinkle. "I love you, too. Hurry back."

I turn my Kimoyo Beads off, my eyes wandering back towards my sister. Despite the tough face she puts on, I can tell this whole situation is hurting her deeply. I know she blames herself for these deaths, and I know she desperately wants to understand and reason with Remington. It's clear Remington doesn't want to take a peaceful route, and hopefully we will soon learn why.

I could see how anxious Bucky and the others are; worrying that something is going to happen to Soroya. But I'm not worried. What I said before I meant; I pity Remington when she shows her face again. My sister is an Avenger now, and I'd love to see anyone try to challenge her. And to those who do, I can't wait to see them fail.