IX. Cappuccinos And Case Files

Start from the beginning

I enter into Rhodey's front door first, with Khari close behind me. Rhodey's house has always felt very quaint and peaceful to me, like those cottages you would see in a vacation brochure. I have come here many times on our days off, Khari has as well. I remember after a particularly long mission in Sicily, we stayed here over the weekend and watched 'I Love Lucy'. The walls are a baby blue, with pictures on the walls of Rhodey with various friends and family members. There's a picture with the remaining Avengers at New Years last year. He held a party here, which was actually rather fun. The floors are a dark oak, as are the kitchen table a few feet from us. The kitchen to our right is painted the same baby blue, but has white cabinets and tiled floors. We make our way into the living room where a football game is playing on the tv in front of the two brown leather couches.

"Rhodey?" I shout, hearing footsteps from upstairs as he comes down to the main floor. Rhodey smiles at me widely, bringing me in for a tight hug. When he pulls back from me he goes to hug Khari as well.

"How have you been?" Khari asks, placing his hand on Rhodey's shoulder.

We all know what Khari means. Rhodey gives us both a sad smile, answering honestly; "Not great. It will just take time."

I slip my hand into his. "We're here if you need us. How are Pepper and Morgan?"

"They're doing as good as can be expected. Pepper is having a hard time adjusting to being a single parent. I've been going over there a lot."

Khari and I share a look before I say; "Let me know if there's anything I can do. They're not having money problems are they?"

Rhodey chuckles. "You kidding me? Tony left his whole fortune to Pepper...well almost. There's the Avengers bank account but you already know about that."

Alex's jaw drops, starring between the three of us. "So that's how our Greece trip was paid for? Why didn't you tell me you have a portion of Tony Stark's fortune?"

"Every Avenger does. But I don't trust you with money," I say, turning back to Rhodey. "I don't believe you've officially met my brother. Rhodey this is Alex, Alex this is Rhodey."

Rhodey shakes Alex's hand before his eyes fall onto Bucky. Both men look extremely uncomfortable, but I give Bucky a lot of credit for making the first move; extending his hand out to Rhodey. "Colonel Rhodes."

After a moment Rhodey shakes his hand. "Sergeant Barnes."

I know how hard it is for both of them to be civil. They didn't interact at Wakanda when Thanos first came, so the only time they have really been face to face is when they fought each other in Germany. I can tell there is distrust here, but both men trust me, and for them that's enough.

Rhodey's eyes linger on Bucky for a moment longer, before he makes his way back over to me. "I called a few people I know in the CIA as well as the FBI. The only shapeshifter they're aware of is you. They don't even know about Alex. I pulled a couple of strings to see if I could find any other files and I found a box," He says, leading us over towards the kitchen table. "This box contains reported cases of people with abilities that haven't been captured. Perhaps this woman you're looking for is in here. It would be helpful if I had her name."

I nod. "Well I didn't get it when we interacted, so this is what we have to go off of," I say, placing my hand on his shoulder. "Thank you so much for this."