Flower Fields and Made Up Minds

Start bij het begin

Hearing this broke the judge's heart. All his years on the bench and he certainly saw his share of unstable people however what he saw in front of him was a very sad very defeated little girl. "Did Skylar and Brian ever call you crazy Shiloh?"

She shook her head still refusing to look up, the raggedy looking stuffed animal firmly on her lap. "They always told me I wasn't and that they loved me." She said in a shaky voice. "They told me every day that they loved me." It was then that she couldn't hold back anymore and burst into tears. "They made the bad dreams stop and now the bad man comes back at night!" She exclaimed wiping her nose with the back of her hand.

"How do they make the bad man go away?" He asked. Having read up on Shiloh's therapy notes he pieced together that the 'bad man' was her birth father that murdered her mother.

"Cause the bad man doesn't like when I'm happy." She said still crying but starting to try and calm down. Shiloh didn't know who this man was or why he was asking her these questions but if he knew Brian and Skylar she didn't want him to tell them she was crying. If they were here they would tell her to be brave so that's what she wanted to do.

Judge Harrison was quiet for a few moments. He picked up a crayon and started to color as he thought. Shiloh reminded him so much of his own granddaughter. Clearing his throat he thought very carefully how to word his next question.  "Shiloh, can you think of any other time where the bad man didn't come around because you were happy?"

"No, only when I lived with Brian and Sky." She answered.

"Thank you for talking with me Shiloh." He smiled. Leaning back in his chair Judge Harrison knew he had a lot to consider. It took him seconds to realize what a special child Shiloh was and he knew he had to do right for her. "Ya know... I have a blank spot on my wall that needs filling, I would love if you drew me a picture." He said with a wink.

"Ok!" Shiloh giggled, "I'll draw a field of flowers!" She said grabbing the purple crayon.

"I think that's a great idea." He said as he sat back in his seat looking at a little girl who was given the shit end of the stick in life.
____________________________________
Attorney Garrison was very confused on why he was called so early by the courthouse. The clerk on the phone didn't explain anything other than the fact that he and his clients, Skylar and Brian, were requested in the judge's chambers by noon.

This was completely against any court proceedings he had been apart of but he didn't want to worry his clients so he kept the confusion to himself. He saw the couple waiting outside the courthouse. "Ready?" He smiled as he greeted them.

"Any idea what this is about?" Brian asked. When he got the call this morning he had to cancel an IJ shoot that was scheduled for this afternoon at a local grocery store. Producers weren't pleased since the crew were already their setting up but there was no way he was jeopardizing anything regarding Shiloh. For all he knew this was a test to see how serious he was about all of this.

"I don't know but I'm sure the judge just needs more information." The attorney answered as he held the door for his clients.

Brian grabbed tightly to his fiancé's hand that was shaking like a leaf. "Relax." He whispered softly kissing her temple. Skylar's tension was still there but feeling Brian's touch helped a little.

"Love you." She whispered back as they climbed the stairs.

"Love you." He responded. Although he would never let on to Skylar how nervous he was it didn't change that he himself was shaking on the inside.

"Good morning." Judge Harrison's secretary greeted them from her desk outside the judge's chambers. "Judge will see you all now." She smiled.

Along with their attorney, Skylar and Brian entered the great big office. "Good afternoon Your Honor." Attorney Garrison greeted.