Chapter 3: Run it Again

Start from the beginning

"I need help, big time."

He laughs. "I've been telling you that for years and you're just now realizing this."

Wes has been my friend since 6th grade. He's the only one I know besides her dad or Emmet that could help me right now. No one else understands our friendship. Other people think we're dating, but they have been around enough to know we really care about each other.

"I'm serious. I need to do something big. I need her to forgive me."

"Listen, I know you're not going to like this but, it's just going to take time. She can't just magically forgive you. You just need to be there even when she doesn't want you to be. You need to show her you care. Nothing but you being there will fix it."

"I don't want it to be like this, though. She's not as much mad as she is hurt. I don't want her to hurt, especially when it's my fault."

"Go over there and man up. Be with her and stop pitying yourself. She needs you more than you know."

"Fine, I hate it when you're right."

"Then you must hate me all the time." He chuckles and turns back to his computer.

It all started when we were five years old. Our mothers were best friends but we didn't meet each until her fifth birthday party. My family lived in New York for the first five years of my life. We moved back here since it was my parents hometown. Our second month here my mom informed me I was going to a birthday party. Me being five years old, I was excited.

We got to her house and rang the doorbell. Her mother answered the door and told us to go ahead to the backyard. We got out there and everywhere you looked there was something football. I instantly got excited because I thought this was a boy's birthday party. To be fair, there weren't any girls.

That's when I saw her. Blond hair, brown eyes and a smile that seemed like nothing could ever break it. She was wearing a football jersey with two black streaks under her eyes yelling hike! I watched in amazement as she passed it perfectly to her dad and he ran in for a touchdown. Some people cheered, others groaned, but I clapped.

She looked over at me and smiled. She ran straight up and stuck out her hand. "I'm Cecelia, and you are?" We instantly became best friends and over the years inseparable. We had our fights sure, things changed, but we're still best friends.

I'm leaning on her door thinking what I'm going to say when it suddenly opens and I fall into her room.

"You just going to stand outside like a creep?"

"No," I say, "I was just thinking."

She offers me her hand and pulls me to my feet. Instead of letting go of her hand, I take them both in mine and look her straight in the eyes. "I messed up and I know you can't forgive me right now, and I can't expect you to. I just want you to know that I'm not going anywhere. I'm right here and I always will be. Stay mad at me for a week, a month, two years but I don't care because I'm going to be here until you forgive me, and I'm going to be here for you forever."

She has tears in her eyes as she wraps her arms around my neck. "I forgive you."

"Really? Are you sure because I can wait." I can't wait actually, but I'm trying to be a good best friend.

She pulls back and I instantly miss her nearness. "Yes, but if you ever, ever forget to call me and tell me where you are, I won't forgive you as easily or as soon." She means it, I can see it in her eyes.

"I promise to never forget," I vow and put my hand on my heart.

"So, Madden?"

"Yes, but don't cry when you lose," I say and race her to the controllers.

************
"Mom! I'm home!"

"In the kitchen sweetheart!"

"Smells amazing in here. Where did you order from this time?" She knows I'm joking. She would never order in, she loves to cook.

"Funny Ashton, and I'm making dinner." She rolls her eyes and starts to chop up some vegetables.

"It's only 3:30, you do know that right?"

"Yes, but I have to make the soup. Then I have to bake it and a bunch of other cooking stuff you'll never understand honey."

"As long as it's good. I just stopped by to get my shoulder pads. I forgot them earlier. Can Cece come for dinner? Her dad has a meeting."

"Of course! She's always welcome here you know that!"

I laugh and head back to my truck shoulder pads in hand. I pick up Cece and she instantly changes the radio as soon as she gets in.

"Hey! That's good music!"

"Please," she says,"Rap is not music. It's basically saying a bunch of rhyming words as fast as you can to a beat."

"Oh, so what might you say country music is?"

"Country music is better."

"That's all you have," I say hopping out of the truck and head towards the stadium."After everything you said about rap, that's the best you've got?"

"Yes," she says and runs off to the girls locker room.

I laugh and head to the boys locker room. Once I'm done changing, I wait outside of the girls locker room. I stand quietly pressed against the wall until I hear the door open. "Gotcha!"

She screams like a little girl and punches me in the arm. "Ash you are such a jackass. That's it, your new name is jackash."

"You know you love me."

"Actually, I don't think I do. Race you!" She shouts and pushes me to the ground. Damn, she's good. I spring up after her but I'll never catch her. She's too fast for me.

I run through the doors where I find her standing there smirking. "Poor baby just lost to a girl. Don't go crying to mommy now."

I smile but before I can say anything back coach calls us over.

"I want you to run a simple blast."

We all head over and get in formation. Nate snaps it to Cece who then hands it off to Emmet. Emmet then runs through a hole in the offense and makes it seven yards before a tackle.

"Good job Emmet! Offense he isn't supposed to make it that far. Run it again!"

We run it again and Emmet only makes it 2 yards before a tackle. "Great now run a draw!"

We have to run it eight times before coach gives us a break.

"Why do we have to run the basics, we already know all that." Complains a lineman I can't see.

"Well, those eight times prove you don't! Everybody back out there and run it again!"
___________________________________________
Authors note: 
Hoped you all enjoyed this chapter, it was a little longer. What do you think about this cover?