𝔦𝔦. painkiller

Start from the beginning

"You reckon Emily Vinh, from Ravenclaw, would fall in love with me?" Marlene deadpanned, breaking the silence. Remus suddenly chocked on his tea, as he violently coughed, spluttering in confusion, causing Maiara to lean over the large wooden table and softly hit his back in attempts of providing ease. "It's appeared to me that she's been running around my mind for the past weeks! And, it has had an undeniable influence on the pleasure I receive from my . . . extracurricular activities."

"What makes you doubt the possibility that she would? " Maiara countered, her brows only furrowing slightly, whereas Remus still seemed to process the enquiry that left Marlene's mouth not having quite expected to be apart of such personal a conversation that early in the day.

    "My thoughts on serious, romantic relationships aren't a stranger to anyone of the student body. My lack of interest in settling down with a person has almost become my very own brand-name, it's how everyone sees me. But I've never been necessarily bothered by that image, as it is the truth . . . or rather, was the truth. You see, I may have developed a genuine liking towards Vinh, and I have hopes, or not, of perhaps spending time doing normal couple shit with her. But, I'm afraid my past and my image may come between my chances with her,"

     If the Woodson witch had learned anything about her blonde best friend in their six years of friendship, it was that Marlene was the true embodiment of the Gryffindor bravery. Whether it be her trying Alice's poorly baked cookies (that were extremely and undeniably raw), when the brunette had tried to take up a new hobby in the summer of their fourth year. Or, the time when she publicly declared her sexuality to the entirety of Gryffindor, and some odd students that had littered inside a Common Room other than their own, at the party celebrating Gryffinor's Quidditch Cup win of the year 1975. Marlene McKinnon was bloody valiant. So, when Maiara caught the sliver of self-doubt cross her friend's mind, her heart plummeted, she would've thought that not even an army of the darkest wizards could make Marlene cower but, it seemed that a petite Ravenclaw of their age was fully capable of accomplishing the impossible.

    "Marlene," Remus started softly, despite having originally felt absolutely out of place in having to take part in their conversation, a strong wave of empathy took over his emotions. He knew self-doubt, he was familiar with the fear of being unaccepted, being unloved. Though, unbeknownst to the reasoning behind Remus's intervention, Maiara quickly grew grateful, as she feared she didn't know what to say. "Emily Vinh falling for you has nothing to do with whether or not you'd be capable of being loved. Loving someone else is not a confirmation of the other person's ability of being fallen for, it is a situation of feeling a connection. Emily might fall for you, or she might not, but that would not mean you are incapable of being loved. Or, that you are never to be destined for anything other than flings. Everyone can be loved, it's a matter of if you find the person who will do just that."

    "All that novel reading has turned you into quite the romanticist, Remmy." Marlene quipped, after an extended moment of stillness, perhaps in the softest voice Maiara had ever heard from her friend. The sight was quite one to behold, as the three Gryffindors basked in the early morning's sunlight, the quiet in the Great Hall bringing a new sense of comfort a sense of belonging. A growth in bond was undeniable, as Marlene reached out to tightly grip onto both her friends, having been unable to ignore the blossoming warmth she felt. Remus offered the blonde witch a lopsided grin, as he shyly ducked his head at her remark, popping a piece of chocolate in his mouth as to silence himself. Maiara, on the other hand, grew increasing joyous at their freshly shared memory, embracing the feelings of warmth.

    Maiara really wanted to cry.

    Unlike her elated mood for the majority of the day, the brunette felt her emotions spiralling as her lectures came to an end. Whatever contentment she had been feeling earlier that morning, any emotion that entailed a positive mindset, seemed to be incapable and absolutely unreachable in that very moment. Turns out, it was not a good day, even though Maiara couldn't exactly pinpoint the reasoning behind her dampened mood. However, she had a pretty strong gut feeling that her lack of enthusiasm had to do with the never ending series of assignments due the following day. And so, Maiara let her head slump onto the table she sat at, cursing her desire to study Mediwizardy after her Hogwarts years.

For as long as the Woodson witch could remember, becoming a Healer had been one of her biggest wishes in life — specifically, it was her second most desired goal. If someone were to have asked her the true reasoning behind why she chose the profession of becoming a Mediwizard, or even when she'd made that very choice, Maiara wouldn't have been able to honestly answer. She didn't know why or when, she didn't even know how. But, Maiara was certain it was what she wanted, and that alone was enough to land her on the journey of working towards becoming a Healer. She held an immense amount determination and was driven by the thought of success, but Maiara had to admit she would have long dropped the thought of becoming a Healer, if it wasn't for the support she'd received from her family.

The Woodson bloodline perhaps weren't as noble as the House of Black, or as prosperous and wealthy as the Malfoy family, but their talent and abilities in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement were undeniable. For generations, the wizards and witches of the Woodson name were recognised as the most skilled Aurors of their time — naming them to be even more dangerous than the Dark Arts themselves, as they were incredibly dexterous when detaining the wizards and witches of its practise. Oscar Woodson was no exception to his family's legacy, as he proudly held the title as Head Auror, working alongside Alastor Moody (or rather, Uncle Maddy when being referred to by Maiara). Just like the Woodson bloodline, the Moody family had gained a reputation for producing many diligent and renowned Aurors. Through his close relationship to her family, Alastor was no stranger to Maiara Woodson, and often visited her home during her yearly years of childhood. Alastor and Oscar had attended Hogwarts in the same years, though only just barely as Oscar finished his schooling when Alastor had begun his 2nd year. Nevertheless, the two grew close as mentor and trainee in Alastor's years leading up to becoming and Auror, and the Scottish Wizard had eventually found himself to be Maiara Woodson's godfather.

Despite her family's history, Maiara never faced any rejection toward her choice of career from her family and loved ones (excluding the odd grumble and groan her godfather let out regarding the matter), and for that she was endlessly grateful. But, Maiara still felt like she really wanted to cry, and so, cry is exactly what she did. In the back of the Library, hidden away from most students' lines of sight, Maiara sat sniffling softly, as she simultaneously wrote her Transfiguration essay for the remainder of the evening.

NOTE
yes, i know, no sirius! but, i wanted to give some insight on maiara! i had to sprinkle in some soft remmy especially for deceptacons <3

also, yes, i made made-eye her godfather and i kinda love it.