Chapter Twenty-Three

It's three days. Three days where Bruce over nurses Laurie. Blankets. Soup. Hot water bottles. Snuggling up on the couch. And she feels terrible about every single minute because she can't bring herself to tell him she's pregnant. He's already so worried about her. And with his head set on his research she doesn't want to distract him. He wants this so bad that she can't throw this spanner into it. She will tell him. Eventually. Just once all this has passes. When Bruce gets what he wants she'll bring it up. The drive to Culver is quiet, Bruce naps most of the way, giving Laurie way too much time to think, her hands more than once drifting to her stomach. There is no notable outward appearance there, yet. But now she knows, it's almost subconscious that she can...feel something. Flutters. It's not possible but she can believe. She cuts the engine of the car as she parks and takes a breath. Culver. She hasn't been back here since Bruce's accident and she knows he hasn't either. He reaches over and brushes her hair over her shoulder, they share a look as he touches her cheek. Both are nervous about being back here. She nods softly and gives him a small smile before Bruce climbs out of the car, Laurie grabs her jacket from the back seat before joining him. His hands in his pockets as he looks around the University Campus. He takes a breath and looks to Laurie as she pulls on her jacket at his side.

"You were quiet" he tells her as he pulls his hands out of his pocket and threads his fingers through hers.

"Just thinking" she assures him.

"Are you upset about me doing this?" she stops and turns to him.

"No" she states stepping closer to him. "No, of course not..." she touches his arm. "Bruce, this is what you want" she gives him a smile. "So it's what I want" He leans closer and kisses her softly, his hands cupping her face.

"I love you so much" he assures her. "Thank you for this" he whispers, she smiles at him and wraps her fingers around his wrists.

"Find somewhere quiet" she tells him. "I'll be back"

"Just check out security" he offers, his worry shining through. "Find out if Betty is still here...don't do anything stupid or...something that will get you caught" she nods.

"I know...intel only" she leans up and kisses him softly before disappearing in front of him.

"You could have looked around first" he scolds lightly a small smirk on his lips.

..................

Laurie, invisible, stands in front of the Maynard Hall of Physical Sciences. She watches as students and faculty flow in and out before she shifts closer to the doors to peer inside. She sees a security pass through, guards checking ID's and a metal detector. They didn't have anything like this back when they were here. She turns and walks down the steps walking away. She looks up and sees the sign on another building. Biology. She thinks a moment before heading up the steps to the door, looks around, waiting for someone to walk into the building. Catches a break when a student hurries out, arms laden with books, Laurie slips inside as the door closes and heads to the directory board, her eyes scanning over the names before she stops on one in particular. Cellular Biology – Dr. Elizabeth Ross. She then turns and manages to slip back through the door beside another student.

...................

Bruce found a nice bench to sit on, covered by a tree and shade. He thinks on Laurie and her mood the last few days. She's been distant and a little weepy. He's never known her to be weepy. She's the strongest woman he knows. And something tells him it isn't food poisoning. He knows she'll tell him when she's ready to. So he'll be patient and wait for her. He looks up from under the baseball cap he's wearing and sees Laurie walking towards him. Her metallic brown trench coat catches the sun. He can't hep but stare at her. She looks beautiful. Glowing even. She smiles seeing him before picking up her pace a little. She sits beside him, his hand instantly finding hers, a comfort blanket.