Chapter 49 (mixed reactions)

Start from the beginning

The girl turned the cube, it opened.  A small beam shot out of the cube. I jumped over the beam.  It had the same effect on the ground as the first one. “Someone’s got some graphic problems.”  A voice said. I saw Ayla jump down, already transformed, and looking somewhat tired already. “Good to see you showed up.”  She said. I nodded. “Better talk somewhere else. Before they fire again.” I said quickly. Ayla and I got onto a roof, out of the person’s range of fire.  “Any idea what their deal is?” I asked. Rena Rouge shook her head. “Called themself ‘Equalizer’. Anything they blast with that cube just turns into pixels and disappears.”  She said quickly. I nodded, looking over the edge. ‘Equalizer’ was blasting buildings at random. “We’ve got to distract her long enough so that Chat noir and Ladybug can get here, before everything is gone.  Then we can figure out the plan from there.” I said. Ayla nodded. “Got it. I’ll head out first, to grab her attention. Then you can come out and make sure everyone is out of the way. I’ll try to hold her attention for as long as I can.  You’ll have to be quick though.” Ayla said after a few seconds. I nodded. “On it.” I said, jumping down to the other side of the building. I heard Ayla jump down from her side. “If you want a miraculous, you’re just going to have to take it!”  She said. There was a sound that said that part of the plan had worked. I looked around. Of course, Ayla had someone recording on their phone for the Ladyblog somewhere in a window or something. I looked around some more. Some students were hiding behind a car.  I made sure the akumatized person was paying complete attention to Ayla and used my whip to get across the street quickly to where the students were hiding. They turned, probably to see what I was going to say. “It’s not safe for you guys to hide here. Jog around the corner and stay there until Ladybug, Chat noir, Rena Rouge and I stop Hawkmoth this time around.  Got it?” I said quickly. Some nodded. “Thank you Starfire.” One boy said. I recognized who it was. Luka nodded once, he understood what they needed to do. “It’s my job to keep you safe.” I replied, motioning towards the corner not far away. The students quickly sprinted down. I made sure they got to the corner safely. I turned back around, just in time to avoid being hit by another beam.  Luckily, I had gotten the students to the corner just in time, there was no way they could get hit by the beams now. Until Equalizer turned the corner at least.

I jumped back, a second beam hit the car where the students just were not too long ago.  The car completely turned into cubic pixels before disappearing. I sighed. Ayla jumped back into view.  “Sorry, lost sight of her for a bit too long it seems.” She said. I nodded. “S’okay. Got those kids to safety just in time.”  I added. “Why haven’t Chat noir and Ladybug come yet?” Ayla asked. I shrugged, looking around. “Don’t know… hope they hadn’t gotten hit by one of those beams.”  I added. Rena Rouge nodded. “I’ll distract the person for now. You go see if anyone, that could get hurt, is closeby. We need to keep them busy until Chat and LB arrive.  If they ever do.” I said quickly, hoping that LB at least came. Ayla nodded. I moved out from behind the corner. Equalizer was standing there, I could see a butterfly made of light.  I took my whip out again and looked around. The butterfly must have been how Hawkmoth talked to his victims. That butterfly looked familiar though. I swore I had seen it somewhere before.  I shook my head to get back in the present now was not the time to get distracted. Equalizer took the cube out again. “Hand over your miraculous Starfire.” She commanded. I half growled. “No thanks.  You are definitely not my alpha.” I retorted. Swinging my whip to catch their left arm. Equalizer swung their arm back, grabbing my whip and pulling me along with it. I took a step back, figuring I could try to hold this for a while longer.  Equalizer pulled hard, making me lose my balance. I struggled against their pull. I let my whip go, falling back to the road. Sh*t, I needed to find a way to avoid that happening from now on. Equalizer unraveled my whip from her arm and threw it behind them, down the street even more.  “Shoot.” I muttered. I had to get my whip back, before I really lost this battle. “Give up, and I might just let you live.” Equalizer said. I growled. “Over my dead body!” I said through my teeth. Something Yin had told me one night rang in my ears. ‘You’ll get more instinctive reactions when you’re transformed, they become stronger the longer you stay like that. Ever more if you start to depend on those reactions.  You’ll start speaking more aggressively than normal. You are technically an alpha, but you can’t let that part take over. No matter what happens y/n, the consequences of that happening will be greater than you, or anyone, should be willing to risk.’  She had said.  That’s why things had been getting under my skin so much easier these past few weeks.  I shook my head lightly. “That can be arranged!” Equalizer said, firing another beam at me.  I knew Yang was closeby. Maybe this would work…

“Light beam!”  I shouted, aiming the light at Equalizer.  They took a step back, I’d hit them directly.  Fifteen seconds. “Yin, Yang combine!” I said quickly.  Silver turned to black. “Yin, dim it down.” I added softly.   Now I was using my black and silver suit. Which meant my whip had vanished from down the street.  I heard someone land behind me. I took my sword out, facing who it was quicker than was necessary.  Five seconds left, deep breath “That wasn’t very safe Loup.” A voice purred. It was Chat noir. I huffed, now my breathing was rough.  “What else was I supposed to do? You’re late!” I said. Equalizer growled, I looked in her direction. They could see again. “Well, we’re here now.”  Chat said, taking his baton out. I looked over at him again. LB had jumped down next to Chat. “That was some quick thinking Starfire.” She commented.  I nodded, taking a deep breath. I heard Ayla jump down. “The akuma has to be inside of that cube.” She said. “Good job you two.” Ladybug said. “Sorry we came late.  Couldn’t change with people nearby.” Chat explain. I took another few quick breaths. ‘Maybe that quick change was a bad idea.’  I thought.  “S’okay. Long as we get this done.”  I said, my grip on my sword tightened.  Equalizer growled again. “Four miraculous, even better!  Give up and I’ll let you all live.” They said. I growled.

Small time skip

“Miraculous Ladybug!”  LB called out. The swarm of ladybugs and ribbons fixed everything and brought back what had been pixelated.  I was back to the white and silver suit. My breathing was still pretty harsh. Ayla had left a while ago. She had used ‘mirage’ to give Ladybug some time to use her ‘lucky charm’.  It had given her another rubix cube. I had to act like the cube was something else, to distract the villain. I had to switch back to using Yin, after using ‘shadow’ to sneak away. I shook my head lightly, trying to get my breathing back to normal.  “Starfire, are you okay?” Chat noir asked. Why was he still here? I nodded. “Just- tired. Quick switching- so much- like that- was a bad- idea.” I said in between breaths. Chat nodded. I closed my eyes for a few seconds before opening then again.  I grabbed my whip again. “I’ll see you next time Chat.” I said, half turning. I swung a few blocks away. “Yang, daylight.” I said once the coast was clear. “Y/n, you have to be careful when doing that.” Yin said. I nodded, opening a fruit snack and putting it in my purse.  “I didn’t know what else to do.” I explained. “Doing that too many times doesn’t only drain our power, it drains your energy y/n. If you get caught, your team may not be able to stop your miraculous from being taken off. You would de transform as soon as it was removed. Hawkmoth would then be able to use you to get to them.”  Yang warned. I took a breath. “Got it. Daybreak and a quick switch use my energy as well as your guys power. I’ll remember that.” I said, walking out slowly. I half jogged back towards the school, to make everyone was okay. Adrien was in the same room when the alarm went off. I had to make sure he really understood I was sorry.  The school came back into view again. I looked around. “Y/n!” Someone called. I recognized Ayla’s voice right away. I saw her and jogged over quickly. “Are you okay? Two of those switches must have left you pretty tired.” Ayla asked. I nodded. “I’m fine now. Just a little winded. Have to be careful with that from now on.” I said softly.  “Is everyone else okay?” I asked, at a normal level. Ayla motioned towards the group. I could see Nino, Nate and Marri. “Where’s Adrien?” I asked. “Right here.” A voice said behind us. I turned. Of course it was Adrien.

He looked fairly tired.  Maybe he went down a few blocks.  I half smiled, sighing. “At least everyone made it out of that without getting hurt.”  I said. I saw Adrien nod. “Y/n, what about you? You look tired.” Marionette asked. I took another breath.  “I went down a few blocks. I got back up here as fast as I could to make sure you guys were okay.” I lied. It was half true, I had gotten here fast.  Ayla nodded. “We ran down a few streets before splitting up. Y/n does have a ‘danger magnet’ when it comes to attracting akumatized people.” Ayla said.  I rolled my eyes sarcastically, even though that seemed to be true. Heartbreaker, Volpina, that villain during my first night patrol, Equalizer and a few others had targeted me as either Starfire or y/n.  “Maybe I should record for the Ladyblog while running for my life then. I’m sure the others would just love watching that.” I said with a sarcastic tone. Ayla and the others all got worried looks after I said that.  “What? I was kidding.” I explained.