Chapter 4: His Captive

Start from the beginning

Stalker. Evelyn suppressed a shiver. If she revealed herself, would he return her to her home? Or imprison her? Or kill her? For whatever reason, the King specifically wanted Kimberly here. If the King realized he hadn't gotten what he'd wanted, she doubted the consequences would be pleasant.

So instead she summoned up the best smile she had and sat up slightly, propping her elbows against the bed. "I wore colored contacts." Which was true—she had worn colored contacts. Just not for any pictures.

A low hmm rumbled in his chest. "For cosmetic purposes?"

She nodded. "Blue eyes have always struck me as prettier than brown."

He leaned closer, and she held her breath, resisting the urge to sink back down into the pillows. His gaze delved hers and his breath grazed her skin, smelling of sweet mint and pine.

Then he withdrew. "I think I find brown eyes just as pleasing."

His words warmed her—before she reminded herself that he'd find them much less pleasing should he know that they didn't belong to Kimberly. "Thank you." She straightened before scooting back against the pillows. "Now, about this wedding..."

He nodded. "I've heard your father hasn't informed you of the engagement."

"He didn't—and the man you sent wasn't very helpful either. In fact, he was downright unpleasant." Especially when he'd pinned her to the floor.

The King lifted his broad shoulders. "He was doing his duty."

No apology. Just a statement. She was so glad she wasn't going to remain here for long. "Well, I hope you'll prove more helpful than your knight."

"Your father and I have corresponded for the past few months to arrange our marriage," the King said.

"But... why would he agree to this? He loves," she caught Kimberly's name on the edge of her tongue, "me."

"I've compensated him well."

"He has tons of money."

"Perhaps he has a debt you're unaware of."

Maybe it had to do with whatever potentially illegal work he did. But why sell off Kimberly? If anything, he'd try to foist Evelyn onto someone else, rather than her sister. "So my father knows about Torva?"

"He does, but he's been sworn to secrecy—and he's watched, lest he think to tell someone else."

"Why do you want Torva to be a secret?"

"Due to ancient laws and even older stigmas, the Torvan people are limited in the technology they can build. If humans ever discovered how to use the portals, they'd easily decimate our country with their more advanced weaponry. Any human that stumbles upon Torva's existence must be... dealt with accordingly." His expression turned grim, and a chill danced up her spine. "Your father is the exception."

So revealing she actually wasn't his intended would probably be a bad decision—likely her last decision. "So why do you want to marry me?" Given the ice crusting his demeanor, it probably wasn't for a romantic reason.

"My father made a law requiring me to marry a Hybrid. Until I marry you, I won't have access to my legislative powers." At her confused expression, he continued, "If I don't marry you, I can't abolish, alter, or create any laws. It's one of the most important abilities that comes with being king, and I've been unable to access those powers up to this point."

"A Hybrid?"

"Half-human, half-Torvan. Your father has verified that your mother was a Torvan."

That meant Evelyn was a Hybrid too—like Kimberly. Wow. She was practically part alien. And if her mom was Torvan, could her mom be in Torva? Evelyn's heart jolted at the thought. "So you're saying my mother lives here?"