Chapter 7

Casey stayed true to my word, bringing me home after two hours; around five o'clock. I opened the door and was greeted with the smell of burnt...something. Following my nose to the kitchen, I saw Alice sitting on the counter, reading a book about Healing. Papers spread out around her and all over the kitchen, one in the kitchen sink with the water running along its soggy ends, and another sizzling and smoking inside a pot of boiling water and noodles.

I quickly shut off the sink and the stove, seeing the bubbles around the paper grow and spread. Dipping my fingers into the pot, I quickly dropped the burning paper into the sink with the soggy one. It sizzled and screamed, before sending puffs of smoke up to the roof.

"I see dinner is ready." I remarked to Alice sourly.

She didn't even look up from her book. Just picked up her pen that was covered in butter, and writing something on a sheet covered in what looked like tomato sauce. The kitchen looked like the Spaghetti Factory was hit by an explosive bomb.

"Alice!" I screamed, walking over to her and plucking the book out of her hands. My foot slipped on a smear of butter on the ground, but my flailing arms caught onto the fridge before I face planted. Her book fell to the floor with a splat.

Alice's eyes turned from dazed to surprised, but at least she was looking in my general direction. Without blinking, she said, "Ivy is a plant that grows only in the Southern Packs. The Rogues use it to heal their internal and emotional pain from their ripped links from their packs. The Ivy needs to absorb dry sunlight in order to absorb one's emotional pain."

"That's great, Alice." I said bitterly, grabbing every cloth from the drawer, opening them and dropping them on the ground. I swirled them around a bit, only really moving the buttery mess around, before giving up. 'Poor kitchen', I thought. It really has been through a lot. I leaned against the fridge, looking at Alice. "It's really awesome how I don't even have to ask and I get my very own Health lesson," I muttered sarcastically.

But Alice continued staring off into space, going on with her ranting, "Poison Ivy is the Ivy leaves that had already used on Rogue Victims. The cold, hard feel of rejection that runs through their veins is enough to turn the Ivy leaf from a beautiful flower to a poisonous hazard. Personally, I pity the Rogues for having to put up with the rejection and distaste they have been through. It's not always their fault. Rogues are just wolves with different values."

"Which is probably why you were destined to be with one," I said, my voice distant. Then, I suddenly snapped back into the present. Alice didn't know that yellow eyed wolves were only found in the South. She didn't know her mate was a Rogue. Before I was a little wonky about the idea, but now that she has spoken her mind about Rogues, I knew I could tell her.

But tonight probably wouldn't be the best idea for that. I am sure with all the over-studying she did she would forget anything we talked about.

That was when an idea popped into my head.

I gave her a smile, even though her exhausted mind couldn't register it. "Why don't we make you more comfortable, Alice?"

As I put my arm around her to help her off the counter, she gave me a funny look, "No, silly, Rogues could never be comfortable with all of that rejection and hate!" She pursed her lips as if she was thinking hard. "Unless, of course, one found his mate. Then, maybe, they would be a little happier."

I gave Alice a side hug while I led her into the living room, setting her down on the comfy black chair by the window. I turned on the lamp next to her, before kneeling in front of her small frame. Alice frowned, "I wish I found my mate."

I gave her knees a pat, "You will one day, Alice. I promise. Now, I need you to tell me something, alright?"

Alice just nodded, like she understood exactly what I said, "Poison Ivy is a very powerful plant. It-"