Chapter 8 Hannah

Hazy darkness engulfs my outer reaches of my mind. I try to focus on the two figures standing in front of me. A husband and a wife are in a brightly lit room, preparing for a party. They look down and admire their baby in her cradle.

"Nathan, are you sure we can't take her with us tonight? She is only a week old, after all," the raven haired beauty argues.

"Emily, love, it is only for one night. Sylvia is a good nanny. We haven't had a night to ourselves since she was born," persuades the tall handsome man, gently.

Emily retrieves her sleeping baby girl from her cradle just as Sylvia enters from the doorway. Emily softly kisses her head and whispers "I love you, my sweet little Hannah," and gently hands her  daughter off to Sylvia.

"Don't worry, ma'am. I won't let anything happen to her. I am just taking her into town to see my sister and we will be back when the sun comes up," soothes the nanny.

"This is so sweet of you, Sylvia," says Emily.

"No trouble at all. Go enjoy your party!" beams Sylvia.

Darkness surrounds me again.

A party is going on in the ball room. It is filled with candle light and soft music. Couples waltz around the room. Nathan takes Emily's hand and he leads her down the grand staircase .

They pass a beautifully decorated cake and gifts; the bright banner reading "Happy Anniversary to Capt. Nathan and Emily Williams."

Darkness swirls around me, heavy and oppressive. I can't breathe. Someone is coming. Creaking comes from under the manor. It turns into a growling like a hungry wolf. 

Someone screams. Panic erupts. People try to flee and crash into the ground. Cries for help bounce around the room. Breaking glass scatters across the floor, staining the wood a dark red. A dark shadow emerges  from below and rushes for my parents, swirling around them.

"Hannah, Please find us! You need to find out what happened to us! You must hurry before your aunt and uncle find that will!" Emily's voice echoes through my head.

I scream Charley's name and wake up.

I vaguely recall a promise that he would be back. Why did he leave? It must have been important because it didn't seem like he wanted to leave me at all. I'm sure he will be back soon.

How long have I been sleeping? I look around. It's still dark. I hear the wind whistling around the apartment and the trees scratching the windows. For some reason I feel like the storm has no intention of blowing itself over any time soon. It feels like a sentient being that is trying to trap me here... Not that I have anywhere else to go, or would even think of going if I had anywhere else to go.

I'm being silly and letting my imagination run away with me. I'm sure everything will look better in the morning, and when Charley comes home.

There was something important I need to remember... It's right at the tip of my foggy mind. A woman. My mother. She told me... what?

I take a steady breath. Maybe if I had some water, it would help me calm down.

As I leave the room behind, something hits me hard on the back of the head.

Pain radiates through my body.

Darkness clouds my vision... again.