A second chance (Contest)

"I won't miss you"

Vyan feels the gentle stab. My seemingly blunt words shoot out with huge amount of gun powder that rain over him like a glittery chaos.

I cast an am-confused-at-what-just-came-out-of-my-mouth look. The look that is capable of making my insides twirl from outside.

He barely flinches and shows immediate signs of recovery, as if his heart is covered in stardust.

"I won't miss you too."
He starts shifting uneasily on his feet, his gaze violently piercing through his own sandals adorned toes.

Waves of affection rage against my conflicts within. I sigh as I realize this is yet another clash of our egos. Frustrated, I decide to use sarcasm during his business trip over distance for the mistake he made earlier this morning- him breaking my favorite vase.

Yes, he broke my favorite blue and white Chinese porcelain vase. No, I don't think it was accidental. Yes, I think he did it on purpose because he had never liked it in the first place. No, he couldn't find any adult way of dealing with it. Yes, he thought I had wasted lot of money on that vase, which I could rather have spent on getting my car's bumper repaired instead. No, we can hardly survive together without this pettiness.

Blaring engine horn cuts through the growing uneasiness between us. I catch Vyan looking at me just for split second, trying to comprehend my racy thoughts. He then swiftly goes back to staring at his beautiful distraction for the day- his giant stubby toes.

Without any word, he slowly drags his luggage into his coach and hurls it onto his seat, while I silently watch him through the window from platform here- maintaining that perfect 4 ft distance between us. He slowly settles near the window, still avoiding my unapologetic gaze.

The train whistles. A pang of uneasiness sweeps over me. For some reason, I want to stop being mad for just a second now.

Just then our eyes lock. Our hands simultaneously close in on the distance between us. Our fingers intertwine.

The moment feels stronger than my anger from before.

As the train starts to move,our grip tightens, trying to hold tightly onto those multiple second chances that we take through the optics of our misunderstandings, for the people we love through imperfections.

__________________________________

This story earned an honourable mention in the Reading list marathon ( Spine Tinglers) Wattpad short story contest Entry🤩.

Yayy!!

Please feel free to check out all the other stories of the contest here-

https://my.w.tt/WaJBVe54j2