Costumes (Bucky Centric)

Start from the beginning

Steve and Bucky were stripping off their sweaty clothes in the gym bathroom and tossing them down the laundry chutes that Tony had installed. The genius had made it so clothes could be thrown in any of the various chutes around the tower and they would be returned, washed and folded, to their rightful owner within the week. Steve still didn't quite know how the robot knew which ones were his clothes, especially when he washed something new for the first time, but his curiosity hadn't quite forced him into asking Tony yet.

Steve changed into his change of clothes with the same quickness and military precision as always. When he glanced toward his best friend, he was surprised to see that the man still hadn't gotten a shirt on. In fact, Bucky was giving a full-blown glare to the stack of shirts in the cubby.

Upon closer inspection, it was clear that Bucky only had short-sleeved T-Shirts left.

Steve looked away as Bucky begrudgingly pulled on the shirt and protectively cradled his metal arm underneath the fleshing across his chest.

The masked insecurity on Bucky's face was too much for Steve. He had to do something.

Which is how the Avengers found themselves face to face with Steve in the full 1940's showtime Captain America suit while they were trying to watch TV.

The first person to see him was Natasha. She was in the kitchen grabbing a snack while the rest of the team was in the living room watching a funny movie. She had to do a double take.

"Slipped into something 'more comfortable' I see." She remarked with an amused tone. "Something you need to tell us?"

"Can you just go along with it?" Steve asked, seriously.

Natasha had a few theories as to what was going on, but they were all too far-fetched to possibly be true. Why would aliens force Steve into this spandex atrocity? And could humanities last chance for survival at the hands of a secret underground militia really be dependent on his fashion choices? She didn't vocalize her thoughts though. Steve seemed resolute, and she trusted him. She nodded.

They returned to the couch together, her barely containing a giggle and Steve blushing like mad.

"Hello solider." Tony pretended to salute and then moved into jazz hands.

"I already enlisted, try somewhere else." Sam groaned.

"Is it time for a battle?" Thor leapt to his feet, far too eager.

Steve immediately glanced at Bucky, who had been sitting with his knees covering most of his torso in the corner of the couch. Natasha, being as perceptive as she was, immediately saw what Steve was looking at. She had a new theory - Steve is trying to take attention away from Bucky.

It was working. All eyes were on Steve and all conversation was in regarding to his outfit. Tony was teasing, Peter was obsessed with the original Captain America Suit, Thor was carefully inspecting the "traditional military regalia", and Bruce was blushing from secondhand embarrassment.

Sam's interrogation as to why Steve was wearing such a ridiculous thing was what finally brought Natasha into the whole thing.

"I lost a bet to Natasha."

She plastered a maniacal grin on her face. Everyone immediately began to chastise the super solider for attempting to outsmart the brilliant spy, irregardless of what the bet was about. When Clint entered the room, the whole thing started over again. Natasha even added amendments to 'her winnings' by making Steve act out certain bits from the campaign showcase or his modern PSA's.

Slowly but surely, Bucky uncurled himself and joined in the fun, unable to resist the temptation that was calling Steve out for his stupid decisions. His prior insecurities forgotten.