Ch.1

Homura sighed, her brush gliding across her tower wall, leaving a streak of soft purple paint behind it.

She felt her chameleon friend, Shiki, shift on top of her head, hearing him let out a small sigh.
"Mother will be home soon with lunch." Homura commented, hearing Shiki groan.

Homura giggled, dipping her paint brush in the small cup of water next to her. She dried it off, grabbing her paint palette and dabbing her brush in the yellow color, spinning her brush in a circle to create what looked to be lights.

She sighed, cleaning her paint brush once again as she felt Shiki shifting once again.
"The floating lights....I hope to see them one day." She said quietly, looking down at her legs.

Shiki hummed from atop her head, and Homura suddenly blushed.
"Did I say that aloud?!" She exclaimed, and Shiki laughed down at Homura.

Homura smiled, laughing along as she dipped her brush into her orange paint, watching as it danced across the wall.
She hummed a short melody, her chest tight. She closed her eyes, trying to remember what the floating lights had looked like.

It had been a year since she'd last seen them, however her 18th birthday was coming up soon, and she would luckily be able to see them from her tower window once again.

Homura smiled, ready to continue painting when she heard a sharp voice coming from the bottom of her tower.
"Homura! Let down your hair!"

Homura gasped, quickly dropping her paintbrush into her water cup and standing up, making Shiki squeak from surprise.
"Coming mother!" Homura shouted back, using her hair to swing off the ledge she was painting on.

Shiki pulled lightly onto Homura's hair to stay ontop of her head, and as Homura's feet planted back onto the ground Shiki quickly scurried off, trying to hide from Homura's mother.

Homura walked over to her tower window, looking over to see her mother, waving and smiling up at Homura happily.

Homura smiled back, grabbing the hook above her head and throwing her long hair over it. She threw her hair over and watched as it hit the ground, her mother wrapping it around her foot.

Her mother, Kurenai, held onto her hair and pulled lightly, and Homura took that as her que to begin pulling. Homura grunted as she dug her bare heels into the hardwood floors of her tower, using all her strength to lift her mother.

Homura groaned as she pulled one last time, watching as her mother came into view. Kurenai stepped onto the windowsill, her heels clicking as she stepped down. She pulled her hood off her head, revealing her dark purple hair.

Kurenai walked past Homura, putting her wicker basket down onto one of the wooden counter tops lining the wall. She turned to Homura and smiled, her aura intimidating Homura.
"Oh darling, I've missed you so much! I don't know how you manage to pull me up without fail everyday!" Kurenai gushed, walking up to Homura and pulling a piece of stray hair behind Homura's ear.

Homura blushed lightly at the compliment, smiling down at her feet.
"It's nothing really..." She trailed, her heart beat picking up.

Kurenai chuckled, patting Homura's head. "Then why does it take so long hm?" Kurenai asked.

Homura blinked, looking up at her mother with a confused expression.
'Wasn't she just complimenting me?'

Kurenai laughed again, waving her hand and walking past Homura once more.
"I'm kidding darling, you should learn to take a joke."

Homura's breath caught in her throat and she lost her words, turning and watching as her mother pulled out her normal sitting chair.
"Homura, if you'd be a dear and sing to me? I'm feeling quite tired after all the walking I did today." Kurenai asked.