Chapter 1: Vampire

Long before humans existed, there was a different species that dominated the Earth.

Every day, a single individual would slaughter up to 20 animals for the sake of satiating their hunger, sometimes even more just for entertainment.

They were large, demonic beasts, with not a shred of empathy within their cold bodies. With thick skin, high regenerative abilities and powerful wings protruding from their backs, they had a strong defence. Add the fact that they had sharp teeth that ripped easily through flesh, they were not easy to defeat.

However, after thousands of years of living off the same diet day after day, the nutrients of animals were simply no longer enough for these creatures.

That's when humans came into the picture.

Humans were unique, the beasts could last months on a single quality human.

But as time passed, they began consuming more than what was necessary and slowly the human race started to die out.

When they were on the edge of extinction, a brave man stepped forward and invented a weapon, capable of piercing even the beasts' tough skin and bypassing their astounding regenerative abilities.

Soon enough the beasts became the lesser beings and humans were the new dominant species.

Rules were put in place to restrict the movements of these demons and an organization was created to control them.

After hundreds of years, the beasts gradually began to resemble humans. Their skin wasn't as tough, their regenerative abilities dropped and they lost their wings. The two species were finally able to peacefully coexist.

The humans called them

Vampires.

***

Present day...

Vampires managed to mingle well enough into society. Rules forbade them from taking blood from illegal sources such as humans or pets. They were only allowed blood from farm animals, blood from registered donors or blood from people who had given certified permission. If the rules weren't followed, they would come under the wrath of DASAV, also known as the Defence And Security Against Vampires.

DASAV was organisation created to fight against any vampires who went against the law. Armed with weapons invented by the founder of DASAV, no vampire dared to step out of line.

Despite this, vampires were still shunned upon and it was still hard for them to get along well and many went into hiding.

***

Kageyama yawned and rubbed his eyes. The sun shone brightly and seeped through the small little gaps in the curtains. He squinted at the clock - 6:30am it read. Kageyama sighed. He had been dreading this day for weeks and finally it was here.

Today was his first day of high school.

Kageyama HATED school.

Now it wasn't because he was bad at studying or found it extremely boring (which was indeed true), but because schools were always filled with crowds and crowds of students.

Human students.

Kageyama always had a hard time adjusting to the new smells and fragrances that hung tantalisingly in the air whenever he switched schools. He would have to sit still in his seat for six hours, trying not to grab the person closest to him and tear them apart.

It was so frustratingly difficult, and Kageyama despised it.

It wasn't as though he could help it. He wanted so bad to fit in, to be a normal school student. Not one that had to worry about his own temptations and the possibility that DASAV was watching closely.