TWO

Max.

My eyes pried open. The sunlight blinded me for a moment before my eyes adjusted to the dark room. My brain took a moment to realize that this was not my room. The walls were painted red, a brown ceiling fan was spinning slowly, and clothes were scattered around the hardwood floors.

"Where am I?" I thought to myself.

I lifted my head off of the blue sheets and looked around. As I looked down I noticed that my chest was bare. I ripped the blankets off from around my waist and sighed with relief that I had my pants on still. I swung my feet off the edge of the bed and got up. My shirt was on the floor at the foot of the bed and my shoes were by the door. I grabbed them and ventured out of the room.

"You're finally awake," a deep voice called out from a different room.

"Y-yeah," I stuttered, looking around.

I went towards the sound of the voice. There stood Alex in front of the stove with his back towards me. I glanced around the kitchen as I went to the table and sat down. Alex was wearing a white shirt that hung loosely off his shoulders and grey sweat pants. It looked like he was up for a while before I woke up.

"How did I get here?" I asked Alex.

"You drank quit a bit last night, and you said you didn't feel good so I asked if you wanted to come here, and you said yes. So I drove us here," Alex replied, turning to glance at me.

"Didn't you drink too?" I looked down at my feet.

"I did at the beginning, but after my third drink I decided to drink water," Alex glanced at me and smiled. "We were there for a long time. I was pretty sober when I drove us here."

"What time is it?" I rubbed the back of my neck.

"Almost noon. Do you want to borrow some clothes? We gotta meet, um, your friend at the courts in a half hour."

"Yeah, if you don't mind," I shrugged and sank a little lower into the chair.

"Okay, but first eat this. It'll help with your headache," Alex smiled as he put a plate in front of me. "I'll grab you some clothes."

I watched Alex leave the room before looking down at the food. He cooked me some scrambled eggs and bacon. Smiling, I began to eat. I didn't realize how hungry I was until I started eating. Alex wasn't a bad cook either. Alex came back into the room with a pair of red shorts and a white t-shirt.

"These are some of my older clothes I don't really wear anymore, so you can just keep them. Also, I don't know what size shoes you wear," he said as he put the clothes on the table. "But you can't wear those." He pointed to my black Vans by the doorway.

"Oh, yeah. I wear a size 10," I responded before shoveling another load of eggs into my mouth. "Thanks for cooking."

"No problem," Alex laughed as he walked out of the kitchen again. He came back with some black tennis shoes. "Luckily you wear the same size as me. You can just give them back to me after we are done."

"Thanks," I smiled sheepishly at him. "Sorry I got trashed and crashed here."

"No problem," He smiled back. "You better join the team though."

After I finished eating, I went back to the room I woke up in and got changed. I folded my clothes and grabbed my shoes as I walked out of the room. I found Alex in the living room looking at something on his phone. His brow furrowed as he concentrated on whatever was on the screen.

"Thanks for the clothes too," I said softly.

Alex looked up, his expression softening when he looked at me. He put his phone in his pocket as he got up. "I'm guessing I should grab a racket for you to borrow too, huh?"