Chapter One - Twisted Sister

PROM NIGHT - 3 years, 11 weeks and 2 days ago.

It was a miracle I was even going to prom, let alone with a date. I'd spent my entire high school career in the confines of the drama room, pretending to be other people. I was one of those misfit kids, the ones who don't really fit in anywhere. So when Nate Lambert had asked me to prom one day after English class I almost puked on the spot. Nate Lambert was cute, popular and he knew who I was.

However finding a dress that didn't make me look like a blimp was difficult. You see, I'm not the smallest girl in the world. In fact, mom had referred to my curves as “extra voluptuous” more than once. “Extra voluptuous” My elder sister would laugh every time she said it. “Mom she's just fat...”

My sister Elle had always been naturally slim, and naturally beautiful. She turned heads everywhere she went. The old adage “Girls want to be her, boys want to be with her” was perfect for Elle, and she knew it. We were polar opposites and Elle liked to remind me at every opportunity, that she got the better end of the stick.

She wouldn't have trouble finding a prom dress, that’s for real.

I tugged at the black fabric of the dress I'd just pulled on, annoyed that it wasn't sitting properly. My breasts spilled over the top of it almost to the point of being obscene. This won't do.

None of the dresses I'd tried on so far were any good. I peeled the black one off and threw it at the pile with at least six others. I let out a frustrated sigh then pulled on my jeans and t-shirt. I picked up the dresses and I placed them down on the returns table as I walked back out to the main store.

The assistant looked at me, she wrinkled her eyebrows.

“Can I make a suggestion?” She smiled, as she moved across the floor toward a rack of dresses.

“I'm at the point where I may as well wear a burlap sack” I groaned .“Suggest away.”

“Nonsense, you're a beautiful girl, you're just trying to wear what everyone else is.” the middle age woman exclaimed. “You're not everyone else child, you're you.”

She pulled a deep purple dress off the rack. It was beautiful, classic, elegant. I walked toward the her and picked up the bottom of the dress, the material moved through my fingers like liquid.

“Its beautiful.”

“It sure is. How about you try it on?”

I smiled and took the dress, I checked the price tag before walking away. My hear sank. I'd only brought $200 with me, and this dress was $400. If I'd brought mom with me then it would have been fine, the only problem is my overbearing sister would have come and insulted me as well.

“I don't have enough.” I replied sadly holding the dress back out.

“Try it on.” the woman smiled.

I walked back into the dressing rooms and pulled my clothes off again, I was beginning to work up quite a sweat from changing clothes. I pulled the dress on to my oversized frame and prepared myself for the rearranging that I assumed would need to follow, but it didn't. The dress fit me perfectly, like it had been made for me. I looked good.

I walked from the dressing room and back out to the main shop. The dress maker nodded and clapped.

“That's the one.”

“I can't afford it.” I whispered.

“How much do you have.” She smiled softly.

“$200.”