An Important Question

Silverdale, the Present:

Five days after her aunt had thrown her out, Tarissa hiked along beside Tunis on a Silverdale street under an afternoon sun. They were on their way to work at the Crooked Cat. Tarissa still lived with Tunis and Odette, but in two days she was moving in with Sussan, one of the other serving girls. Although they had welcomed her, living with her brother and his girlfriend was awkward. But for now, Tarissa enjoyed her brother's company on their walk to work.

They were on Barringford Way when a plain but well-appointed coach overtook them. Rather than continue on, it pulled to the side of the street just ahead. A man stepped out of the coach. Dressed in a finely tailored, formal tunic with a wide brimmed hat, the man turned and watched them approach. As they neared, he smiled and made a nod of a bow. Looking at Tarissa, he said, "Miss Tarissa Lathetta, I believe?" He straightened up and touched his hat politely to Tunis, "And Mr. Lathetta."

Well-mannered or not, the man was a stranger. Tunis put down the bag he carried and stepped closer to Tarissa. He eyed the man dubiously. "Who are you, and what do you want?"

The stranger removed his hat and bowed formally. "I am Edard Allwert, personal assistant to the duke." He looked at Tarissa then nodded to the carriage. "Duke Rairatte would like a word with you, Tarissa." Allwert put his hat back on and gestured an invitation toward the coach. "If you don't mind stepping inside?"

Tarissa knew the name Edard Allwert. Around Silverdale he was known as the duke's right hand. As she looked at the carriage and thought of who waited inside, the hair stood up on the back of her neck. The duke wanted to talk with her? "Why?" she asked, even though she was almost certain of the answer.

Allwert smiled. "I'm sure he'll tell you." He opened the carriage door for her and turned to Tunis. "Mr. Lathetta, would you be kind enough to wait here with me? This shouldn't take long."

Tarissa looked at Tunis. He shrugged and reached to take Tarissa's small satchel so she could climb into the carriage. Tarissa took a deep breath and stepped to the coach. After Aunt Rose's revelations, she certainly wanted to meet the duke. She stuck her head in the door of the carriage. An older, white-haired gentleman sat, hands folded in his lap. "Are you the duke?" she asked.

"Indeed I am," he replied and smiled. "And you are Tarissa?"

He seemed nice enough. Tarissa stepped up into the carriage and made an awkward attempt at a curtsy in the limited space. "I've never met a duke before. Am I supposed to call you 'your grace'?"

The duke nodded. "Among other things." His smile became a chuckle. "I think I have something of yours." He held out a small, well-worn book.

Tarissa's heart leapt into her throat. It was her mother's diary. She took it from him. "How did you . . ." She stopped to sniff and wipe a tear from her cheek. "How did you get it?"

The duke patted her hand gently and leaned back against the seat. "Please." He gestured for her to take the seat across from him. When Tarissa had settled and composed herself, he answered her question. "Rose Rance brought this book to me the other day. Normally, she would have had to make an appointment, but she said it was business concerning . . ." The duke paused to clear his throat. He pointed at the book. "She used, uh, the author's name to my man, Edard, and he brought her to me."

The corners of the duke's mouth turned down. "I saw quickly enough what it was she had and what she wanted to do with it." He sighed, but then he brightened and smiled at Tarissa. "I also saw that this was a mother's book intended for her daughter—you," he said pointing at her. His smile came back. "Therefore, I took it away from her. And now, I return it to you."

Tarissa took the diary and tucked it away out of sight. "She stole it from me," she told the Duke. "Thank you ever so much for giving it back." Giving it back? How had he known— "How did you find me?"

"During our conversation, Madam Rance provided me—" he chuckled slightly and looked sly "—with rather extensive information about you." He shrugged. "When I decided to return the book, I set Edard to work to find you. He's rather good at searching out information I need to know."

Her surprise at the meeting had faded, but there was one answer she was desperate to know. At first she was afraid to meet his eyes, but for her mother's sake she wanted the truth. He watched her intently as she studied him. The angle in the line of his nose and his prominent, squared-off chin were masculine versions of what she saw each day in the mirror. "You're my father, aren't you?"

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dear Readers:

Yes, I must leave you hanging just at this critical point. After all, I did say this was a teaser chapter. I am doing my best to encourage you to buy my book so that I can continue to write more books.

Here is the link to the book. It's available in both ebook and print form:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1701864045/

Please feel free to visit my website for more details: wculbertson.com. I welcome your comments or questions on this book or any of my other writings.