~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leaftail was leading the clans east again, with Dawnfur, Ruthpelt and Lionpelt beside her. She used extra attention to prevent her from speaking with Ruthpelt.

Just then, she scented something strange. Dogs!

"Dogs!" She yowled. Dawnfur, Lionpelt and Ruthpelt froze. Then the other cats behind them froze, too.

"A-woo!" A terrifying howl confirmed Leaftail's doubts. They had to hide, now!

"Everyone, climb up the trees!" Greenstar shouted. All the Plantclan cats, including Leaftail, immediately climbed up the nearest trees, the senior warriors helping the apprentices. But the Waterclan cats stood frozen to the ground, their pelts standing up.

"Waterclan cats can't climb!" Splashstar shrieked. "What are we suppose to do?" The warriors then surrounded Crowpelt and Icefeather and their kits.

Greenstar immediately ordered Logfur, Flowerclaw and Rosetail to help the Waterclan cats with him. They jumped down and helped pushed the Waterclan cats up the trees: Kits, Queens, Elders, Apprentices, then Warriors.

Leaftail could see that pushing up the kits were easy and Woodpool and Cinderleg helped them get hold of the kits when Flowerclaw pushed them up.

The queens, with the help of Rosetail and Logfur, climbed up easily.

The elders, Grayfur, was the hardest.

"Come on! Get hold of a branch!" Greenstar mewed as Grayfur jumped on his back.

"The branches are too thin! They will definitely break and I'll break my back!" Grayfur complained.

"Look, there are dogs coming to kill us, and you are bothered by some stupid branch?" Leaftail growled from above.

"Where are your manners, young cat?" Grayfur meowed loudly, but he still climbed up the tree.

Pouncetail, retired because he lost a leg, was shocked. "How can I climb a tree?"

"It's okay, even if you only have three legs," Logfur said. Then, he pushed Pouncetail up safety.

By then, the dogs' bark were loud and clear. Leaftail's fur stood at their end.

"Unsheathe your claws and sink them into the bark!" Greenstar instructed. "Then climb up like you are walking!"

One by one the warriors climbed up the trees timidly. They almost fell down but all of them got up safety, even the apprentices- except for Ashpaw-.

He was still climbing up the tree when they appeared -the dogs. There were two of them, one black, one white. They were almost as tall as two cats. They bared their teeth and saliva dripped down from their mouths.

"Ashpaw, faster!" Ashpaw's mentor, Rainpool, urged. But the black dog jumped, and got hold of Ashpaw's tail with its sharp and yellow teeth.

"Help me!" Ashpaw yowled as the dog tried to pull him down. Splishclaw jumped down to the branch next to him and unsheathed his claws. With a snarl, he clawed the dog's muzzle.

The black dog whimpered in pain and let go. It then went squealing home.

Splishclaw was about to let out a victory yowl when Ripplefoot yelled, "Watch out!"

Before Splishclaw could react, the white dog jumped up and bit hold of Splishclaw with its canines and dragged him down. Splishclaw struggled but the dog did not let go.

But anyone could help Splishclaw, there was a sickening 'crunch'. All the cats' eyes widened. The dogs had just crushed Splishclaw's spine!

As Splishclaw dangled limpy in the dog's mouth, Leaftail gasped. The Waterclan deputy was dead!

"This is for Splishclaw!" Ashpaw yelled and he jumped onto the dog. Splashstar, Rainpool and Ripplefoot jumped too and began slashing the dog's back.

Shocked by the sudden weight and slashing claws, the dog let out surprised yelp and let go of Splishclaw's limp body. It then ran off.

Knowing that the coast was clear, the are jumped off the trees one by one. Each of them looked at Splishclaw's limp body in shock.

"Splishclaw had been a great and loyal warrior," Splashstar said sadly. "It is Waterclan's lost. May he hunt well in Starclan. We shall sit vigil for him tonight before the elders bury them."

The cats bowed their heads in respect and one by one pay their last respect for Splishclaw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Let all cats gather!" Splashstar yowled, with Greenstar next to him.

"It is moonhigh, and time to name the next deputy," Splashstar meowed sadly. "I say these words before the body of Splishclaw, so that his spirit may hear and approve my choice."

"Mistfur will be the next deputy," Splashstar said after taking in a deep breath.

"Mistfur! Mistfur!" the cats cheered, though it was halfhearted as they were mourning for Splishclaw.

"Splishclaw will be buried by the elders tomorrow. Those closest to him shall sit vigil. The rest can sleep. We will travel tomorrow," Splashstar declared.

Leaftail went to a grassy area before falling into deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think?

Vote?

Comment?

Both will make my day! ;D