27. Doors, Pillars & Oak Trees

Baz

I wake up in Snow's bed in his arms. The sun is pouring through the window. Usually it would irritate me, but my body's under the covers and his back is blocking most of it. He's fast asleep, laying on his side so we can both fit.

We didn't go very far last night, just kissed a bunch. I swear his lips are still swollen and his freshly washed curls are all mussed about from where I raked my fingers through last night. I still can't believe this is my real life and that Simon Snow is letting me kiss him all night long and wake up in his bed. I've wanted this for a long long time.

I twirl my finger through one of his curls.

"Sn-" I remember what he said last night. "Simon. Wake up or you'll miss breakfast. Mondays it's pancakes."

He whimpers quietly in response and wriggles up closer to me.

"Simon, seriously."

His hand slips under my arm and he pulls me closer to him.

"Just 5 more minutes."

"Okay."

After 5 the minutes, it's me who leaves the bed first. For a moment I hover at my wardrobe and wonder whether to just change in the room with Snow watching. I decide against it and change in the bathroom. When I come back into the room Snow's mostly dressed, save the half unbuttoned shirt and loose tie. I want to take a photo of him like this. All disheveled and Simon-like.

"I'm going to head off first then," I say.

Snow lets out a long sigh. "Still afraid to tell your minions?"

"I'm telling them this morning."

"That we're kissing?"

"No. That we're friends."

"Well," Snow says, buttoning up the last of his buttons and trying his best to do up his tie. "Maybe if we walked into together it would spark the conversation."

"I guess."

Snow grabs an armful of textbooks, gives his hair one last brush, then stands there expectantly by the door. He hasn't done his tie properly. I lay my books on my bed, walk over to him and begin to re-tie it.

"How are you still so bad at this?"

Snow shrugs. I look down at him. His gaze is moving from my eyes to my lips. Fuck it. I push him back against our door like he did to me last night and kiss him so hard that for a second I think I might bite.

"C'mon, Snow. You don't want to miss out on pancakes."

***

Walking with Simon Snow to the dining hall for the first time is strange but brilliant. The whole way there he's trying to figure out if he wants maple syrup, lemon and sugar, or Nutella on his pancakes. He still hasn't decided by the time we get inside.

When we're inside, Snow drifts over to Penny and I make my way across the room to Dev and Niall. They're immediately interrogative.

"What the bloody hell are you up to, Basilton?" Dev demands.

"Well, Gentlemen, I've decided to put my childish feud with Simon Snow behind me. "

"You what?" Niall spits out his tea.

"I have befriended Snow."

"But he and his precious Mage are the reason the power of the Old Families is disappearing. Plus, he can't even use a sliver of all that magic he's got." Dev says. I want to punch him for that last part.

"I couldn't give a rats' about the Old Families."

"Baz, you're a Pitch."Dev argues. 

"By patriarchal standards, I'm a Grimm. Now, pour me some tea . No more comments."

Dev and Niall give each other a what the fuck is this wanker thinking? look. Then, Niall picks up the teapot and pours me a full cup of Earl Grey.

***

The lesson before lunch is Political Science. My first lesson with Snow for the day. We're learning about the pros and cons of bipartisanship. Most days I'd be all over it, but Snow sits right behind me (he chose the seat start of the year when he was still keen on stalking me). I feel his eyes on me the whole lesson. A low hum, a mild electric current, fills my whole body and I can't tell if it's withdrawals from Snow's magic or just straight up giddiness. 

When Mr. Sutherland asks me a question, I zone back in and realise I've been thinking about Simon Snow the whole first half of the lesson. I need to touch him again. Now.

The bell rings, signalling lunch and I pack my books up quickly because I know Snow is always in a rush to get to lunch. But when my books are all back in my arms Snow is still behind me. He looks just the way I do when I'm hungry.

He gives me a look which I'm not sure I quite understand and strides out of the classroom. I follow, half expecting him to have buggered off to the dining hall anyhow. But the minute I'm out the door I'm pulled behind a pillar. 

Snow grabs me by the jumper and pushes me against the pillar, puts his hands either side of my face and kisses me quickly. "Meet me in the Wavering Wood in 10 minutes." 

I nod.

***

Is it a bad idea? Quite possibly. But I wait ten minutes outside our History classroom then bound down the stairs, across the grounds to the Wavering Wood. I tear through the shrubbery and low hanging branches and cast Come out, come out, wherever you are. Snow comes drifting through the woodlands, practically hovering because of the magic, and lands right before me.

"Christ, you're so powerful." Snow says, bewildered.

"I'm nothing compared to you Simon Snow. I get drunk off your magic."

Snow beams at the compliment. Then I take him by the face and slam him up against a tall oak tree. And it's just him and I alone in the wavering woods because we can't keep our stupid hands off each other for a 6 hour school day. 

I swear my vampire ears detect the sound of wood nymphs snickering.