Chapter 2

It took a lot longer than I thought it would to get home. Darling seemed to be sleeping the ride home, but I think she was pretending. Who would pretend to sleep when you actually could? I snuggled deeper into her chest. It was warm, so I drifted to sleep.
Soon I felt the car stop. I was excited, but still tired so I just groaned and rolled over.
Mom laughed as she opened her door and went around to the other side. She opened the door for Darling and she got out with me in her arms. She must've stopped pretending to sleep while I was asleep.
Anyway, I looked at the giant house in front of us. It was about the same size as the other houses down the street, but it looked bigger up close. Suddenly we heard someone call. Darling's face went cold and Mom went inside. Darling hurried up behind her but before she could get into the house a couple boys stepped into the yard. Darling took a deep breath and stepped off the porch and onto the yard.
"Hey ugly face,"
"Hi..."
"What's that in your hand?"
"N-nothing," Darling stuttered Suddenly, before we could react, he slapped her hands and I went tumbling to the ground. I landed hard on my shoulder, but luckily that seemed that was all that was broken. Everything else just felt sore.
Darling yelled at the boys but they stood their ground. She picked me up and cuddled me close.
"He is just a puppy, Connor!" Darling shouted at them again. So the one who dropped me was Connor. It was fun learning new names, but my shoulder hurt too much to be excited.
"It deserves to be dropped, it's ugly like you," said a boy standing next to Connor and the boy on the other side snickered. Darling ran inside. Before she closed the door behind us, I heard Connor whisper, "Too far guys..."
Mom watched Darling carry me upstairs.
She went into a room with white walls and a pink bed with lots of posters on the walls. She half slammed, half kicked the door shut. I whined at her, I didn't like when she was like this. She smiled a little and put me on the bed gently.
"It's okay, I'm used to it. I never had anyone to talk about it with, but now I have you!" The joy in her voice made me wag my tail. She studied my shoulder and frowned. "Now I just have to tell Mom you broke your shoulder the second you got home. Easy..."