Part 2

Ethan finally put down his cup that had been hanging mid-air for some times between the table and his mouth

Ethan finally put down his cup that had been hanging mid-air for some times between the table and his mouth. He helplessly watched the girl, Anya, scooted away. What did he do wrong? Why she suddenly ran away like a scared kitten?

Was he too direct? Did he say something wrong? But he had waited the opportunity for sometimes now to get to know her. She was always so far-far away in her dream whenever he found her in this café. With her eyes either glued on her book or looked outside the window to the ever-busy street.

Ethan had to admit that she was such a beauty. With big hazel eyes, long lashes, porcelain skin, a dainty nose and full lips, she could decorate any front cover of fashion magazine. Not to mention that beautiful mahogany hair that was always secured in a ponytail or a little bun above her head. Yet, she seemed did not realize it. She always looked like she was trapped whenever anyone gave her any notice. Ethan found it very amusing, he knew lots of girls would die to have a face like her.

Ethan shook his head. He sipped his coffee with thoughts that was busy wondering about Anya. Indeed, something about her was vaguely familiar. She reminded him his mother's relatives back in Norway. They were blue blood. From an old aristocratic family. Thank God Ethan looked a lot like his father, a typical American man; big and tall, but he had his green eyes and jet-black hair from his mother. His mother once told him, she was bored with men from her 'world' who always looked aloof and did not have feelings, and one day she met Ethan's father in her campus when she was an exchange student. Ethan's father was a young professor back then in Harvard. They hit it off right away and two months later they eloped.

Since the morning they accidentally bumped their heads, Ethan had been curious about Anya. He saw her one or two outside her office building, but never had a chance to say hi, until one day when a hard case made his head spinning and he needed a sanctuary plus an extra boost of coffee to soothe his stress, he found her day dreaming in the café near their offices block called Seventh Heaven. But she seemed so-so far away in her own world that made Ethan hate to interrupt. So instead of saying hi, he deliberately took a table in a corner that enabled him to watch her without her aware being watched. He had been doing that many times for months now and learned that she liked a cup of hot cappuccino in cold days and a glass of chocolate frappe in hot days. She liked to wear vintage clothes and loved to tie her beautiful hair in a pony tail or secured it in a little bun over her head. The books she read were varied, but she loved romance books the best. Yet, he never knew her name. Until today when the café was full and the rain gave him the opportunity to share table with her. And now he knew her name, he definitely would google her tonight.

After a cup of espresso away, when Ethan was about to leave, something caught his eyes, a book left on the chair where Anya sat earlier. In her haste, the girl forgot to put the book that she just read in her bag. Ethan picked it up and read the cover. Emma by Jane Austen. A small smile appeared on his lips. This could be his mean to see Anya again soon.