Prologue

Hazy darkness engulfs the outer reaches of my mind. I try to focus on the two figures standing in front of me. A husband and a wife are in a brightly lit room preparing for a party, as they look down into the cradle.

"Nathan, are you sure we can't take her with us tonight? She is only a week old, after all,"  the raven haired beauty argues.

"Emily, love It is only for one night. Sylvia is a good nanny. We haven't had a night to ourselves since she was born," persuades the tall blonde, kindly. 

Emily retrieves her sleeping daughter from her cradle, just as the nanny enters from the doorway. She softly kisses her head and whispers "I love you, my sweet little Hannah," and she gently hands her baby off to Sylvia.

"Don't worry, ma'am. I won't let anything happen to her. I am just taking her to my sister and we will be back when the sun comes up," says the nanny.

"This is so sweet of you, Sylvia," says Emily.

"No trouble at all. Go enjoy your party," smiles Sylvia.

Darkness surrounds me again.

A party is going on in the ballroom, filled with candle light and balloons. A quintet plays lively music in the corner of the room. Couples twirl and dance around the floor as Nathan takes Emily's hand, and they glide down the grand staircase.

On their way to the center of the room they pass a large table filled with gifts and cake. Above the table is a banner proclaiming " Happy Anniversary to Capt. Nathan and Emily Williams!"

Darkness crowds around me, heavy and oppressive. It is hard to breathe. Cold fear shoots through my body.

Someone screams. Panic erupts. Guests run, trying to escape the confusion.

Darkness swallows me up one last time.

I scream myself awake as cold sweat runs down my body. I wrap my arms around myself  as I rock back and forth on my bed, trying to calm myself down.

This is the third time this week I have had this nightmare. Always the same.

I look over at my calendar and see it is only three days until the twentieth anniversary of my parent's disappearance.