the one with the phoenix organization

“The Law is only a Defense
against those who agree
to be bound by it.
We don't.”

AFTER COMPLETELY BUTCHERING Trelawney, Umbridge descended the silver ladder first so that she was waiting for us  all when we reached the Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson ten minutes later. She was humming and smiling to herself when we entered the room. We told Hermione, who had been in Arithmancy, exactly what had happened in Divination while we all took out our copies of Defensive Magical Theory, but before Hermione could ask any questions Professor Umbridge had called us all to order and silence fell.

"Wands away," she instructed us all smilingly, and those people who had been hopeful enough to take them out sadly returned them to their bags. "As we finished chapter one last lesson, I would like you all to turn to page nineteen today and commence chapter two, ‘Common Defensive Theories and Their Derivation.’ There will be no need to talk."

Still smiling her wide, self-satisfied smile, she sat down at her desk. The class gave an audible sigh as it turned, as one, to page nineteen. I raised my hand.

Professor Umbridge seemed to have worked out a strategy for just such an eventuality. Instead of trying to pretend she had not noticed me, for I raised my hand as often as Hermione, she got to her feet and walked around the front row of desks until we were face-to-face, then she bent down and whispered, so that the rest of the class could not hear, "What is it this time, Miss Firegold?"

"I've already read chapter two," I said loudly.

"Well then, proceed to chapter three."

"I've read that too.  I've read the whole book."

Professor Umbridge blinked but recovered  her poise almost instantly. I nearly smirked. "Well, then, you should be able to tell me what Slinkhard says about counterjinxes in chapter fifteen."

"He says that counterjinxes are improperly named,"I said promptly,more from memory from the storybooks than from the textbook. "He says ‘counterjinx’ is just a name people give their jinxes when they want to make them sound more acceptable.'

Professor Umbridge raised her eyebrows, and I knew she was impressed against her will. "But I disagree," I continued. Professor Umbridge's eyebrows rose a little higher and her gaze became distinctly colder.

"You disagree? Does anyone else disagree? Although I doubt anyone else has reached chapter fifteen yet—Miss Firegold has always been an exceptional student, a pureblood like her—"

"Yes, I do," said Hermione raising a hand, who, like me, was not whispering, but speaking in a clear, carrying voice that had by now attracted the rest of the class's attention. "Mr Slinkhard doesn't like jinxes, does he? But I think they can be very useful when they're used defensively."

"Oh, you do, do you?" said Professor Umbridge, forgetting to whisper and straightening up. "Well, I'm afraid it is Mr Slinkhard's opinion, and not yours, that matters within this classroom, Miss Granger."

"But —" Hermione began.

"That is enough," said Professor Umbridge and I noted how cold she turned towards Hermione when she was so impressed with me. She was a purist. She walked back to the front of the class and stood before us, all the jauntiness she had shown at the beginning of the lesson gone. "Miss Granger, I am going to take five points from Gryffindor House."

There was an outbreak of muttering at this. "What for?" said Harry angrily and I gave him a warning look instantly, although at this point I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to stop him either.