Zindagi Kaisi Paheli

Arnav was driving back to his home. Home, where his Nani and his Khushi lived. Khushi – only the name was enough to bring a warm smile on his lips.

Arnav and Khushi were best of friends, since...forever. He clearly remembers the day when an angel named Khushi entered his life.

A five-year-old Arnav was quietly sitting on his bench in school, eating his lunch, during recess. He was new in this school. Hence, had no friends yet. Just then a girl with two pigtails came and sit beside him, and in the most cheerful tone said, "Hello!! Mera naam Khushi hai. Aur tumhara?" ("Hello!! My name is Khushi. And yours?"). Arnav being very introvert and shy by nature, hesitated to talk to her. Not getting any reply, Khushi poked Arnav on his shoulder. By then Arnav had finished his lunch, so he put his lunch-box in his bag and got up to go and wash his hands, ignoring Khushi. Khushi also went behind him. But still Arnav wasn't responding to her, he ran away from her to avoid her. But Khushi being, well...Khushi, the girl who if decided once to befriend someone then nothing could stop her, then how could she leave him alone. She also started running after him. Both kind of started enjoying the game. When Arnav stopped and turned around to find Khushi standing in front of him, giving him her biggest grin, he also smiled and pulling her pigtail said, "Main Arnav hoon." (I am Arnav."), and they started laughing.

Noise of loud horns made Arnav came back to the present time. He was so into the past memory that he didn't realize when the light turned green at the traffic signal. He started the engine again and zoomed towards his destination, memories of past running in his mind.

Arnav and Khushi were neighbors too. Their friendship grew stronger and more stronger as the days passed. While Arnav was a person of very small talks, Khushi was exactly opposite. Her lively nature and bright smile were the reasons why everyone liked her, and also probably why Arnav liked her a little bit more too, but did not realize until that day.

Arnav never realized how much he loved Khushi, how much importance does she hold on Arnav's life. It was not like Arnav took Khushi for granted but he always thought that Khushi was meant to be with him forever.

He felt his breathing stop when he heard that Khushi's marriage was fixed, with another guy. Everyone was happy, he also wanted to be but couldn't even smile from his heart. He still couldn't understand the meaning of that piercing ache in his heart. He went to meet Khushi, immediately.

Standing at the door of her room, looking at Khushi, who was in her own dreamland probably weaving her future married life, with a small shy smile on her face, Arnav realized for the first time the true meaning of his feelings towards Khushi. He knew Khushi was happy with this marriage proposal. He just knew, by looking at her. They never needed any words to express what is in their heart anyway. At that very moment Arnav decided that no matter what happens, he'll never let that smile falter off of Khushi's face, his feelings be damned. But easier said than done. As the marriage preparations started, Arnav felt as if his life was slipping away from him day-by-day, slowly. He was there all the time with Khushi, as she wouldn't have it otherwise. She would always want her best friend for everything. Arnav also did all of it, although grudgingly but with a small smile only to hide the immense pain he was having in his heart. The toughest part was when Khushi was bidding adieu, after her marriage, to her family. Her eyes searched for Arnav, but he was nowhere to be seen. He saw everything but did not come in front of her, afraid of not being in control of his emotions. Khushi couldn't even see him before going to her husband's house. That night nobody could see Arnav. He was all alone, locking himself on terrace, crying. Crying for the future he could have had with Khushi, crying for the chance he never had to tell Khushi about his feelings.

After three months another tragedy took place in Arnav's life and this time in Khushi's life too. Arnav's and Khushi's parents being friends were invited to a dinner party, they were returning but couldn't reach their homes. They met with an accident on the way and were declared spot-dead, leaving Arnav and Khushi as orphans. Fate could not have been crueler to Arnav. He was shattered. More than that he was angry, at his fate. He didn't even meet Khushi when she came to do the final rituals of her parents. And Khushi left, again, without meeting her best friend.