Chapter II

"I'm scared that they need more, so I'm giving my all."

Naib Subedar - The Mercenary

        He felt extremely bad after the match, he was not able to save the seer nor the embalmer from the Queen. He just wasn't in his best mood of the game today, feeling like a total burden more than usual.

••••••

        The mercenary was panicking throughout the entire match, at least after he rescued the seer once. There was something bothering him, he woke up feeling like shit. Both mentally and physically. With each calibration he hits, the louder the cipher machine was. In his head, it was a replay of a war he had in the past. His entire body trembling, mind went wild.

        By the time Emily has finished decoding two ciphers, he was only done with the first. Thank to all the gods above that Aesop had take care of one. The seer left a cipher half decoded, everything seemed to be in his favour. Until the sound of two people being incapacitated rang in his comms— the seer and the embalmer.

        There were no time to save them, the doctor had opened the gate right across from the map where the two were chaired. Naib was with her, even with his elbow pads he would not be able to make it in time. The guilt swallowed him up.

        No matter how many times they told him it was fine, it wasn't. It was just a repeat of the past, he could not save his comrades in the past— now he could not even save his teammates in the game.

••••••

        The brunette was about to be dragged further into his own negative thoughts until someone tapped on his shoulder. Realised that he was spacing out for a solid three minutes— according to his mental clock. He was ready to thank whoever had managed to save him from his own thoughts, his expression faltered as soon as the person's face came into view— Emily.

        "Ah, you're back." The doctor— Emily, let out a relief sigh. "You look pale, are you perhaps feeling ill?" Her words were kind, she was careful to not say anything unnecessary or cross her boundaries. She knew what the mercenary had been through, but she just simply could not act as if she understands how he feels. He appreciated that she did not push it further. After all, her words have double meaning.

        Naib glanced down slightly to meet the doctor's eyes, she was a little shorter than him and it never was an issue. "I'm fine, Em." He let out a forced smile, he had done it so many times that it began to look fake. Disgusting. The reassurance did not hide the fact that he was trembling all over as the result of those memories forcefully flowing back to him. Of course, the doctor took notice of it.

"It's not your fault." She spoke up after a few seconds of silence, she wanted to reassure him. It always works.

He awkwardly nodded at her comment, yeah, Eli and Aesop were fine. They have both returned to the manor, everything was fine. It wasn't like they died or anything.

The doctor soon left the room, he was left all alone in the empty storage room with nothing but broken techs. Rows of shelves were placed in there to fill up the room, tools and such were displayed on both the shelves and the ground.

It was funny how he found this place calming unlike where the crowds were gathered outside. Most would say this room gives them an eerie feeling, which was not for his case. Despite that, the thoughts kept coming back for his sanity. He felt like he was going to break any moment, any second, any time by now.

He soon leaned down against the wooden door, curled up into a ball while his bandaged arms hugged his knees. Then why did it still bothered him? It has been years. He wanted to scream and cry, but he could not afford to break down when there are people out there who needs him. He swallowed his tears back down, pretended it never existed. It was safe to say that he was frustrated at himself.

A part of him was glad that he was trapped here, in this manor, in this game. Heck, it probably prevented him from getting sent into an asylum. He chuckled internally at the thought.

Although it was pin-drop silent in the room, he could hear the clock ticking in his head. About time for the next match soon, he wouldn't be surprised if his ass went flat after sitting there for so long. It seems like his usual mood was back, he was prepared to leave the room again, hopefully.

••••••

Well, he wasn't exactly wrong that the match was about to begin. They have around an hour before it starts, most of the residents were wandering about in the manor and out in the garden. He must admit, Emma has done a great job at keeping the garden— well, gardeny?

He went into the kitchen as he was feeling up for some desserts, sugar rush is always welcomed. Surprisingly, the bartender was not in the kitchen as usual— ever since her arrival, she would be in the kitchen during free-time just in case anyone wanted to have a drink. She did not want to dirty the halls, which was considerate.

Instead, he found the mechanic and the Mind's Eye chattering as they worked on some sort of desserts. "Naib!" Tracy was first to notice the mercenary stepping into the kitchen, while the blind girl turned around to face the direction where the entrance to the kitchen was. "We're making some muffins, want some?" That was new, he didn't know the two could bake.

"Didn't know you could bake." Naib approached them, Tracy looked proud of herself.

"Emma taught me a thing or two— Lena here tasted it first-hand! It was good, wasn't it?" She didn't sound forceful, just pure enthusiasm. The other nodded with a smile, now staring at Tracy's direction.

They were both like Naib's little sisters, except they were not related in any way. It was fine, there were no rules about not able to become one's sibling if not biologically related. They were all family here. The mercenary let out a chuckle, "Alright, I'll be the judge of that." He smirked as he picked up one of the muffins from the plate.

Tracy watched with sparkling eyes as the brunette took his bite. Needless to say, it was delicious for someone who just learned how to bake. He did not even need to say anything, the mechanic could already read him like an open book. Her eyebrows danced, waiting for his comments although she knew.

The mercenary stared at her, "Tracy.." His eyes already filled with tears of happiness, "you should make more of this—!" While Helena giggled as she listened in.

        The three of them sat at the kitchen counter and chatted for a while. None noticed how fast time was passing by, until each of their communication devices rang in harmony. "Ah.. it's time for the next match it seems." Naib sighed as he took the last bite of his muffin while Tracy and Helena went ahead and cleaned up the kitchen as quickly as possible. Although the mechanic politely told the Mind's Eye to head over to the main hall first, since she was the one who dragged her over into the kitchen. Helena declined with a smile, she was absolutely fine with helping out.

        Naib watched the two's cute interaction before decided to help out to speed up the process of cleaning the kitchen. It took no less than five minutes to finish up.