Lies and Betrayal - 1

John

You're a monster.

It was happening again! Everything he had done up till now, all of his plans to start with a clean slate were destroyed. Just like that. Now his relationship with Sera was at stake here. All of this, because of Arlo and his minions.

"No, you can't."

John turned around to see Arlo standing on the lawn with his arms crossed. It was the perfect time to get his hands on that asinine brat, but the situation held him back.

"You have gone too far, John," Arlo continued. "You had two whole years to confide in Seraphina here." He shook his head, and came closer.

"She deserves to know it all. Your former school. Everything."

Yes, it was true. He should have taken the opportunity when his father came home, but he thought he could keep going like this for a bit more time. It didn't seem the right time to break it down.

But there couldn't have been a better time.

"Yeah," John said as he hung his head low. "Please listen to me, Seraphina." John glanced up to see a sullen Seraphina.

* * *

For some reason, they were in his house when he thought they were going to the dorms. Seraphina and Arlo sat on the couch, while John chose to sit on the floor where Seraphina won't see his miserable face.

"Speak." Arlo commanded.

You're a freak!

The words still resonated in his ears...

Monster!

... deafening him again and again.

He had no choice but to tell Seraphina the truth and not keep anymore secrets in order to keep their friendship alive. He started:

"I was at New Bostin High School before coming here. I was initially a low-tier, and picked on by other students. They beat me, and made me do things for them. I was the worst sufferer of this crazy tyranny where the thought 'Power equals authority' was so ingrained in students, that they never realised the miserable life of us low-tiers.

"I was a late bloomer, and before long I had found my real strength. I was overwhelmed with this power and took full advantage of it to seek revenge.

"It was Claire who lured me to place, and I went there. Upon reaching I found that I had been tricked, and Claire had gathered students to fight against me; to throw me off the throne.

"I-"

He looked back at her, whereupon he found Seraphina listening intently.

I mustn't lose her.

He continued. "I beat up all till the last inches of their lives remained.

"Claire had betrayed me."

He closed his eyes. They were somehow wet.

"I- I thought it was a genuine letter."

Why was his cheek wet too?

"I thought Adrion was only lying to me!"

What was happening to his voice?

"My relationship with Claire was fake!"

Shut up! He smacks Claire. She is knocked out in just one blow. 'Worthless scum. Babbling senseless things. Calling me a monster. Pathetic!' He kicks her again, rolling her over. There is a patch of blood. Battered bodies lied everywhere.

John tasted salt as he relived that horrible scene.

"I wanted to get away from the world, and my ability after I went through the readjustment courses where-"

His shoulders were shaking.

"-Keon was the instructor."