| Chapter 2 | Immersed with Them

A couple days had passed since your arrival in Middle Earth

A couple days had passed since your arrival in Middle Earth. You still had yet to grow fully accustomed to the dwarves that had found you in the forest, but with each little kind word that Ori would utter, or each tale that Bofur or Dori recited over the blaze of the campfire brought you closer to the company. The first two days were rough, to say the least. Your back ached from sleeping on the rough ground; not even Fili's thick coat provided enough cushion for you to have a full nights rest. And you were positive that your spine and butt were bruised from sitting on a pony for too long. Your clothes and hair had grown dirty throughout your journey, and it was often that you wished you could be back home for a proper wash. But that was behind you now, as Gandalf had put it on your second day with the dwarves.

Fili and Kili kept as close to your side as their uncle would allow. Often times you found your eyes dancing over to the brothers while you trecked your way through the forest, your arms tightly around Bofur or Balin's waist in fear of falling off of his pony. You felt a sense of relief wash over your body when the brothers were near, something that you hadn't felt much of since you first woke up in Middle Earth. While yes, other dwarves had tried to engage in conversation and be friendly towards you, your predicament of not being able to speak tended to push them away. You wanted to speak with them, to voice out your concerns of the quest and the well-being of the company, but you just couldn't. That, and Thorin's constant belittling of you often scared some of them away as well.

You hated the way Thorin looked at you. His blue eyes staring deep holes into your back or side, almost as if he was hoping you would drop dead so he could continue his quest without any more interruptions. After many explanations from Kili or Fili, and a heavy scolding from Thorin soon after, you had learned of the quest these dwarves were going on. Your heart settled with guilt when you had realized just how much of a distraction and hassle your presence in the company would be to them, but it wasn't your fault that you just appeared out of nowhere. If Thorin could have his way he would leave you at the next campsite and never turn back. But much to his disdain both his newphews and Gandalf, along with a few of the other dwarves, would most definitely protest and drag you along with them.

"She may not do much now, but she's a helpful lass!" Bombur often shouted, his red cheeks puffing out as he smiled towards you. As days passed you found yourself offering to help him cook the scrappy meals that he made for the company, and almost immediately he took you up on your offer. Soon enough you found yourself smiling as you cut the odd vegetable or grilled some rabbit or venison from a hunt while you listened to Bombur tell you about his life in the Blue Mountains. After everyone had their fill of food you were the one to collect the bowls and other utensils, trying your hardest to scrub them clean. The festivities around the campsite was always loud in your ears, but joy filled your heart whenever Fili, Kili or Bofur gravitated towards you and away from the others. Bofur was one of the few dwarves that didn't seem put off by your lack of speech. Luckily for him though, that meant he could talk as long as he wanted or tell you a funny story about one of his brothers.