Chapter Thirteen

Começar do início

"I'll be heading back in," Eleanor opened the door.

Willa frowned. "You can stay, Ellie. I don't bite."

Eleanor shook her head. "I really do have to go. Goodnight Willa."

It was clear that Willa was disappointed. "Goodnight Ellie."

Eleanor left the room and stood outside the barn a moment looking up at the starry sky. Willa was healing. The woman was not someone who stayed in once place for long. Would that mean that she would leave? Eleanor had always been a person who kept to herself. Outside of Preston, she wasn't overly close to anyone else in the family. She loved them all, but she wasn't open with them.

But Willa? Eleanor had already given a big piece of herself to Willa. She cared about the woman. She liked the woman. Their talks and conversations meant a lot to her. What would she do if suddenly Willa was gone?

Eleanor squared her shoulders. Willa was healing and it was time to distance herself. That was the only way to spare herself more pain.

***

Willa woke early the next morning and made her way out of the barn. She could hear a din of voices from inside the cabin, and there were horses hitched outside.

It would seem the family was gathered together. Should Willa go inside? Would she be welcomed? Did she want to be welcomed? Willa wanted Eleanor to welcome her but what about everyone else? Did she want to be taken into this family?

Willa had never been part of a family. She'd never been surrounded by people she could trust or count on. Could she have that now? Family was important to Eleanor. If Willa was going to have a chance at a future with Eleanor, she was going to have to give family a chance as well.

And Willa did want a future with Eleanor. She wasn't exactly sure what that would entail or how they'd end up but she wanted to at least give it a try.

Which meant going in there with the family and taking a chance. Never one to back down from a challenge, Willa adjusted her gun belt and headed up those porch steps.

Stepping into the house, she felt her intimidation grow, though not a bit of that showed on her face. Everyone was here. It was crowded and bodies were everywhere. And it took a moment for anyone to notice her.

"Hi, Willa."

Willa bit her tongue before replying. "Hi Jane."

She looked around, hoping to see Eleanor but the woman was nowhere to be seen. As if reading her mind, Jane's red-haired, gap-toothed husband stepped into her line of vision. "Your dark-haired beauty is in her bedroom loft."

Silence fell. Willa felt as awkward as a pastor caught at the brothel. Jane's hand fell on the back of Pete's head. "Leave her alone, you big oaf."

Pete seemed undeterred as he grinned. "But I'm your big oaf." He planted a loud kiss to Jane's cheek and the woman blushed and adjusted the boy, Willie's namesake, on her hip.

Willa wasn't sure what to say or do. She was definitely out of her element. She felt hard eyes on her and turned to see Zachariah staring at her. With barely a movement of his head, he let her know that she was to follow him as he stepped out of the house.

Willa was happy to follow him. She could handle one intimidating man more than that house full of family. Zachariah gripped the porch banister tightly as he looked out at the corral. "You and my sister."

Leaning against a porch post to take pressure off her side, Willa frowned. "What of it?"

"Don't you hurt her," Zachariah growled, his gaze never leaving the corral. "She's been hurt enough."

Willa crossed her arms over her chest. "I don't plan on hurtin' anybody."

"And what exactly is it that you plan on doing?"

"I can't see how that's any of your business," Willa informed the man.

Zachariah turned and stared her down. His scarred face was tense and his big fists clenched. "Eleanor is my business. She's changed since you've been here and that worries me."

Willa wondered if all brothers were so protective of their sisters. She wouldn't know. She sighed, fully prepared to do what she could to ease the man's mind when Eleanor came onto the porch.

That shawl was tight around her and her brown eyes were fearful but the set of her shoulders showed determination. "Zachariah, that's enough."

"Why aren't you in the loft?" Zachariah asked defensively. "You never come down when everyone is here."

Eleanor swallowed hard and seemed unable to come up with words as her cheeks reddened and she refused to meet Willa's gaze.

Pete's head suddenly poked out the door. "She came out to stop you from scaring off her lady love." His brows wiggled. "Eleanor wants to keep her glow."

If anything, Eleanor's face flamed even more red. Zachariah glared at Pete but before he could say anything, Wyatt pushed his way past Pete and came out of the house. He gave Zachariah a pointed look, motioned for him to follow and walked off the porch.

Willa was pretty damn shocked when the scarred up ex-bounty hunter appeared nearly sheepish and followed after his man without a word.

Eleanor looked pitiful. She was afraid, clearly, and still staring straight down at her feet, her dark hair falling over her face. Pete clicked his tongue. "I'll leave the rest to you, Willa." The man disappeared into the house leaving Eleanor and Willa as alone as they could be with so many people only feet away inside.

Willa sighed. It was time to bite the bullet and figure out what she wanted. And what she wanted was Eleanor. It was surprising and it was fast but it was true. Not long ago, Willa had lost all direction with the loss of her brother, but Eleanor had given her a new direction.

She reached out and put a gentle finger under Eleanor's chin, lifting her head so that Eleanor was looking into her eyes. "Take a walk with me?"

Swallowing hard, Eleanor nodded.