Coming Out

Length: 2,474 words
Ships: Jenny X Ava, Coal X Arden
Description: Jenny tries to convince Ava that coming out is a good idea. What happens when she finally does?

~•~•~•~

"Ava, don't you think it's about time we told them about us?" Jenny asked, caressing her girlfriend's cheek with her thumb. Ava immediately severed eye contact with her as she took a deep breath. "You know I won't pressure you into anything you're not comfortable with, but it's been over three months. And the longer we wait, the higher the chance that they'll find out about us by themselves. Is this really how you want Alex to know?"

"I know I have to tell him," Ava said, looking at her feet. "Just... Not now. Not yet."

"Ava... You can't postpone this forever..." Jenny mumbled, taking a deep breath. She then moved a strand of Ava's hair behind her ear, what caused her to lock eyes with her again. "He's not going to hate you."

"I know that, but..." she got quiet for a short moment before speaking again. "What if he's disappointed? He thinks I'm straight, and he's comfortable like this. Telling him could change the way he looks at me..."

"Guys! Dinner is ready!" They could hear Arden's voice through the closed door of their bedroom.

"We'll be right there!" Jenny exclaimed. "Ava, babe, he's not gonna look at you any differently. He may be confused at first, but he'll get used to it, I promise you. Aren't you tired of pretending like we're just friends whenever we go out in public? They're gonna be happy for us, Aves. You're gonna feel much better after you come out."

Ava's eyes met the floor once again. "You want them to know about us, right? You're tired of keeping us a secret."

Jenny smiled at her. "I wanna shout to the whole damn world that I'm in love with the most amazing girl on the planet. But that's not why I want them to know, Aves. I want them to know for your sake. I want them to know because living in the closet sucks, because hiding who you are in public is the absolute worst. Especially when it comes to the people you love and care about." she said as Ava looked at her with a sad expression on her face. "I can't force you to tell them. I can only recommend it. And I think it's time you thought about this seriously. Not because they deserve to know, but because you deserve your freedom. You deserve to be proud of who you are." she ended her words with a gentle kiss on Ava's lips. "Let's go. They must be waiting for us." Ava took a deep breath before nodding her head.

"Okay."

~•~•~•~

"This pasta is excellent," Ava said as she took some more into her mouth.

"Thanks, grandma!" Coal called with a smile. "I also finally managed to get the sauce right!"

"I love it. You should make this more often." Arden said.

"Uh-oh. Now this seems like a mistake." Ava giggled at her reaction. They sat at the table and ate in silence for a few more minutes before Jenny had an idea come to mind.

"Say, Alex." she began. "I was wondering, you're accepting of gay people, right?" Her question almost made Ava choke on her food. Jenny, what are you doing?!

"Well, yeah?" Alex said with a shrug. "Aren't you bisexual?"

"Pansexual." Jenny corrected.

"Right, sorry. Well, I'm okay with it, right?"

"Yeah, sure seems like it. But what if someone a little closer to you turned out to be a member of the LGBT community?" Ava gave Jenny a small kick in her leg, trying to tell her to stop. Jenny, in response, placed her hand on her upper thigh, rubbing it gently in reassurance. "Like, what if Coal came up to you one day and told you that she was gay?"