The Flower Ring

Length: 2,327 words
Ships: Coal X Arden
Description: Arden wants to propose to Coal and asks Alex for his blessing.

~•~•~•~

"Whatever happens, Coal must not know I was here," Arden said, taking a sip from his coffee. Alex, who sat on the opposite side of the dining table, looked at him confused.

"Alright, you definitely got my attention now. What's going on?"

"Well," Arden started. "Coal and I have been dating for almost three years now, right? And even before we started dating, we've been through so much together, things not many people can say they've been through."

"Right." Alex said, sipping his tea as he was waiting for Arden to continue. Meanwhile, Arden was trying to gain the courage to say what he had to say. Whatever it was that he wanted, he was pretty nervous about it. And as much as he was trying to hide it, Alex could fairly easily notice it.

He finally took a deep breath before continuing. "So I know I'm only twenty-one, and Coal is only twenty, but it's obvious to me that we'll never be apart. We were meant to be together, and nothing's gonna change that." he paused for a second. "That's why I'm here, I'm...I'm here to ask for your blessing. I wish to propose to her."

Alex got silent for a long moment, what made the already nervous Arden get even more tense. "I... I just... I thought you'd like to know, and I hoped you'll be supportive... I really love her, Alex. I'll never hurt her and I promise to always be there when she needs me, I..."

"I'm not doubting that even for a second, Arden. Don't worry." Alex cut him off as he noticed how anxious Arden was becoming.

Arden had a great amount of respect for Alex, and Alex knew that well enough. He wasn't too sure why Arden thought so highly of him, but he appreciated it. In fact, Alex had respect for Arden as well. He treated him almost as if he were his own son. But in the three years that he knew Arden, he matured a lot. Jenny kept calling him a kid, but Alex did his best to make him feel respected and trustworthy.

"Does that mean that... that you're okay with that?" Arden asked timidly. Alex got quiet for another long second before talking.

"You know I'll always be the first person to root for you two, right? But are you sure you two are ready for this?" He asked, and Arden lowered his gaze into his coffee mug. "It's not a rhetorical question, and I'm not doubting your decision. I just want to make sure you thought this through. You two are still pretty young, I want to be sure you're ready to settle down. I want you to be sure that this is the right time for you."

"I thought about this. I thought about this a lot, Alex. Coal is the best thing that ever happened to me. She's one of a kind, an amazing girl with a heart of gold. I know we're young, but I don't see why we should be waiting. I want her to know that I want to spend the rest of my life with her." He said, lifting his head up to look Alex in the eyes. "It's not a mistake. I just know it. And just because we're engaged doesn't mean that we have to get married soon, right? We could wait with the wedding until we feel like the time is right." He said. "I'm not being reckless. I'm ready for this. I want this. I want to be able to call her my fiancée, and some day, my wife." Alex looked him in the eyes for what felt like forever, trying to sort his thoughts. He eventually took a deep breath before he spoke.

"Are you absolutely sure that this is what you want? That this is a step you're ready for? That you're not rushing things and putting what the two of you have in danger?"

Arden shook his head. "I've never been more sure of anything in my life Alex. I want to propose to your daughter."

Alex took a deep breath, going silent again. Arden could clearly see that there was something on his mind, but was unsure if he should ask.