xi.

THE night fell and now the sky was absolutely dark, the woods that mad, nance and jon have been walking in for hours was now so terribly dark that they couldn't see what was four feet ahead of them without their torches

THE night fell and now the sky was absolutely dark, the woods that mad, nance and jon have been walking in for hours was now so terribly dark that they couldn't see what was four feet ahead of them without their torches. the only source of light at that moment was the moonlight peeking through the branches of the tall trees and the weak light of the torches that nancy and jonathan held. madeline didn't bring her own because how would she know that she was going monster hunting that night? so in that case she stayed close with the other two so she wouldn't get lost.

the three walked sluggishly and slowly as their feet hurt a little from walking for so long. madeline all of a sudden heard a rustling and a small crying noise just ahead of her, so she stopped walking.
"are you tired?" jonathan turned around noticing mad's sudden movements.
"i heard something" she stated as she walked a little faster towards where the noise was, jonathan and nancy following. from a short distance, she saw an object laying on the ground next to a bunch of bushes, it was twitching, it seemed like some animal.

as madeline stepped closer and closer to the animal, she noticed that it was a poor deer. it's neck and it's legs were covered in blood as it whimpered in pain. madeline's facial expression changed immediately from a scared, concerned expression to a soft one.
"oh my god..." she whispered, kneeling down as the deer continued to whimper, her heart broke.

"it's been hit by a car..." nancy pointed out.
"we can't just leave it here." madeline said turning around to face to the two.
jonathan and nancy both stared at the gun in nancy's hand. madeline's eyes widened as nancy held up the gun, pointing it at the deer. but nancy didn't have the guts to shoot the deer like that so jonathan took the gun from her. "i'll do it." he said. "i thought you said-"

"i'm not nine anymore." and with that the three stood up, nancy pointed the flashlight at the injured animal in front of them as jonathan pointed the gun at it. madeline closed her eyes tightly, looking away. it took the boy a couple of seconds, but once he was ready and was just about to shoot, a loud growl was heard and the deer suddenly got dragged into the bushes so quickly, the three jumped back in terror, gasping, hardly processing anything.

"what the hell was that?" mad questioned, eyes widened. looking and checking in all directions, they all started searching for whatever this thing was.
"where'd it go?" nancy questioned.
"do you guys see anymore blood?" jonathan asked.
"no" the two girls replied.

madeline tried to see if there was more blood left over on the ground, and as she did that, she found herself in front of a tree. a quite tall one and it had a thick trunk to be specific. she looked at the bottom of the tree trunk, seeing a hole.

a hole with a slimey, gross substance in it.
she stepped closer to it, kneeling down, trying to see what else was in the hole. she couldn't see much in the dark since she had no flashlight with her. "what are you doing?" nancy came up to madeline from behind.
"look." said the blond girl showing the hole to the brunette. nance knelt down next to mad, checking the hole with the help of the bright light from the torch in her hands.