8. A Place to Hide

"And isn't it funny how those black clouds follow you around. It's Karma smiling down, just let me know when she's in town" - Reckless, You Me At Six

Everything seems fuzzy, slow. I pull out my wand and grip it tightly still gripping George's hand. Many people seem to be only just realizing that something strange has happened; heads are still turning toward the silver cat as it vanishes. Silence spreads outward in cold ripples from the place the Patronus landed. Then somebody screams. 

George is shouting at me. "You need to go -- Haylee, look at me! You need to go!"

I blink a few times, watching as the guests begin to panic, clamouring amongst each other to escape, sprinting in all directions; many are Disapparating; the protective enchantments around the Burrow have broken. 

It's not until somebody has ahold of my shoulders that the severity of the situation hits me; Dad and Sirius have battled through the crowd to find me. "Find Harry and get out of here! NOW!" he yells, shaking me as to wake me up from my trance. 

"Dad?" I choke, reminding myself terrifyingly of a small child.  "No...no! What about all of you, I --"

"We'll be fine!" Sirius shouts over me. "Nothing we can't handle!"

"Get out of here, do what you have to do!" Dad yells. "I love you -- tell Harry, if anything happens, I love you both so much!"

"I love you too, I --"

"GET OUT!"  He pushes me into the panicking crowd, and I begin frantically pushing my way through. 

"Harry!" I cry. "Hermione! Ron!"

As I push my way across the dance floor, I see cloaked and masked figures appearing in the crowd; then I see Dad and Sirius again, their wands raised, and hear both of them shout, "Protego!", a cry that is echoed on all sides --

"Haylee!" I turn on my heel to see Ron shoving his way through the crowd towards me. He seizes my hand and pulls me towards him. 

"Harry! Hermione!" I shout desperately, as we're buffeted by terrified guests: Ron tightens his grip on me as I spearhead our way through the crowd, and a streak of light whizzes over our heads, whether a protective charm or something more sinister I do not know --

And suddenly Hermione and Harry are here. I catch hold of Hermione's free arm, and feel her turn on the spot; sight and sound are extinguished as darkness presses in upon me; all I can feel are the hands of Ron and Hermione as I'm squeezed through space and time, away from the Burrow, away from the descending Death Eaters, away perhaps, from Voldemort himself...

"Where are we?" says Ron's voice. 

I open my eyes. For a moment I don't think we've left the wedding at all: We still seem to be surrounded by people. 

"Tottenham Court Road," Hermione pants. "Walk, just walk, we need to find somewhere for you to change."

I do as she asks. We half walk, half run up the wide dark street thronged with late-night revellers and lined with closed shops, stars twinkling above us. A double-decker bus tumbles by and a group of merry pub-goers ogle us as we pass; Harry and Ron are still wearing dress robes. 

"Hermione, we haven't got anything to change into," Ron tells her, as a young woman bursts into the raucous giggles at the sight of him. 

"Why didn't we make sure we had the Invisibility Cloak with us?" Harry says, as I too curse my own stupidity. "All last year I kept it on me and --"

"It's okay, I've got the Cloak, I've got clothes for you all," says Hermione. "Just try and act naturally until -- this will do."

She leads us down a side street, then into the shelter of a shadowy alleyway.