s i x t y f i v e

Start from the beginning

Chase pulls me into his lap, holding my entire curled up body against him as I hear the door to our bedroom slam open. 

"What happened!? Is everyone okay!?" David questions, clearly distraught. Chase's hands caress the small of my back as I feel him nod. 

"It was another nightmare." Chase answers quietly. I keep myself still, to fucking embarrassed to move and face everyone who I knew was standing at the door. "It was a bad one again."

"If it gets too much for you Chase, Hayden can always come sleep in my bed." My mom suggests and I could hear the sadness and despair in her voice. We were both coming to terms with the fact that I wasn't just her daughter anymore; I was someone's friend, I was someone's love. 

"I love your daughter, Andrea, which means there's no such thing as too much anymore. But thank you for offering." Chase replies softly, aware of my mother's sensitivity at the moment. When Chase was still in the hospital, Mom slept with me every night. She was trying to be strong, but I could tell she was just as scared as me. 

"Very well, I think we should give some time for Hayden to calm down." David thankfully announces and I hear everyone shuffle out of the room. Soon, Chase and I were left alone in silence. 

I feel Chase pull back the curtain of hair from my face and places a kiss to my cheek, "They're gone, baby." 

I pull back as Chase cups my cheek with his hand, he brushes away the strands stuck to my face and wipes my wet cheeks. I felt like crying again. What the hell did I do to deserve him? 

"There we go. You only look like half of drowned rat now." Chase grins as I roll my eyes with a short scoff. He then slips a finger under my chin and tilts my head up slightly, "Can you tell me what happened, Hayden?" 

"I....uh..." I mutter as I try to find a way out of this. But then I realised I was running away again. I was running away from all of my problems once more, ignoring them until they just eventually disappeared; which they never really did. No more. My eyes flicker up to Chase's, "I was in a motel with Luke, he had tied me to the bed and he had a knife. He was going to carve his name into my leg to remind you who I belong to and then...and then I woke up." 

Chase sighs heavily as he places his hand behind my head and gently brings my forehead to his lips. He then mutters, "You don't belong to anyone except yourself, Jones. You don't owe anyone a fucking thing." 

"But I can't help but think if I had just dated him then none of this would never of happened." I explain to Chase as he leans back and frowns down at me. I was playing with the material of his tight, dark green t-shirt, "I know it's stupid and—" 

"You're right. It is fucking stupid Hayden." Chase interrupts me his tone becoming slightly angered, "Do you regret it? Do you regret me?" 

"No, of course not." I shake my head as I exclaim at the absurdity. 

"Good. Don't regret a single thing or decision that you made Hayden Jones. I certainly don't regret a fucking thing." Chase insists as he raises his eyebrows before I nod and rap my arms around his neck. I press my nose into his shoulder, becoming calmer as I inhale his scent. We stay like that for a while, our arms wrapped around each other and out heartbeats intertwining. 

Then I feel Chase's hands fall to the curve of my waist, "You're cold." 

"Yeah, you left the door open, you idiot." I scoff against his shoulder. I'm not sure what time it was. My therapist appointment was at 10, and then I had a meeting with my psychologist at 12:30. As soon as I got home, I took a nap because I was so damn exhausted. My best guess is that it's around 5 right now.