Victoria G Interviews Roy Samuelson

Victoria G: What inspired you to become a voice actor?

Roy Samuelson: I enjoyed recording on tape as a kid. Once when I was doing an announcement for a performance, I learned about how I could use my voice to be clearer. Enunciation was something I never thought about. That blew my little mind. Then I learned about acting and improv. It all came together with a few different voice over workout groups in Santa Monica. I loved practicing, and stretching, and trying new things.

VG: What was your first voice acting job?

RS: In Disneyworld, I was on the Great Movie Ride. I had a mic and I read off a script. Does that count?

VG: What is your favorite project you have done?

RS: I just finished Audio Description narration for a documentary called "House Of Cardin" - it was filled with subtitles, which the narrator reads. It's not dubbing, but there does have to be some distinguishing characteristics of the voice, especially when two people are talking to each other. I really enjoyed the challenge of that movie.

VG: What do you love most about Audio Description?

RS: Technically, I love to get in the zone, where the timing of the cues in between dialogue just flows like a dance. I get such satisfaction in being a part of the story like that. I also enjoy learning about better ways to serve our audiences, blind, low vision, or even sighted, and I do my best to make sure all audiences who hear my work are fully immersed in the story.

VG: Do you have any hidden talents?

RS: My superpower is seeing different people's perspectives of the same thing. And I love to find the good.

VG: What was the hardest voice for you to do?

RS: My own. Hear me out! Most people only hear their own voice inside their head, and it can be jarring to hear one's own voice on a voicemail greeting or listening back to some kind of audio. We are so used to hearing ourselves from inside our bodies, but everyone else hears us from outside our bodies! So that's an adjustment that I've gotten used to years ago. Then there are words given to me that I have to make my own. Playing a character is fascinating, and I love studying different ways of doing that, following along with the intentions of what's happening in a story or a scene. But to do my own voice, especially using other people's words, it's taken a lot of time and practice to be authentic and still get the story through.

VG: How would you describe yourself in three words?

RS: Curious. Driven. Sincere.

VG: What are your social media handles?

RS: twitter & insta @roysamuelson — facebook is @roysamuelsonbiz

VG: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

RS: My favorite part of this question is looking back at my life from 10 years ago and not even having the imagination to know where I'd be! But there are a few things that I found I was striving for, so I'll answer like that: I see myself living a life that is filled with good consistency and surprises, growing into more deep and loving relationships with friends and family, and delivering my best work I can when I can. That sounds so esoteric, so I'll add I'd like to swim with some otters and dolphins.

VG: What are three qualities every voice actor should have?

RS: Ongoing craft development. Human interaction skills. Business sense. (I still work on all three.)

VG: Do you have any advice for an aspiring voice actor?

RS: Yes! Do voice acting. You can use your smart phone and record yourself reading along to something and listen back. Visit social media groups who are focused on the kind of voice actor you want to be. Connect with working voice actors and get the lay of the land from them. Watch where things are headed in different markets. The opportunities are there to grow and it's up to the person to take action.

VG: What's next for you?

RS: I'm looking to find pockets of rest in the midst of a few different areas. I'm still working on advocating strongly for Audio Description, and growing that message. And the Audio Description series and movies are a whirlwind of opportunities to help boost that message. I also have a few video games that I'm voicing that I can't wait to share. 

VG: RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS What's your favorite animated movie?

RS: The Point. The dog Arrow is my zen guide.

VG: What's your favorite song?

RS: Ke$ha "Woman". My cousin and I sing it quite loud and she can dance better than I do anyway.

VG: Do you have any pets?

RS: My muttweiler Steve and I had 7 great years together; even though he's no longer here, he still brings me calm, kindness, and a gentle strength.

VG: Can you play any instruments?

RS: I haven't picked up a trumpet since 12th grade. I bet I shouldn't.

VG: Who's your favorite Ninja Turtle?

RS: I'm partial to Raphael.

VG: What's your favorite weather?

RS: Snowing outside the window near the fireplace. That summer cool breeze on the hammock in the woods.

VG: What's your favorite pastime?

RS: Trapeze. I've only done that a few times, though, so stargazing.