Chapter 6

Day 15 continued
Tom: Ahhhhh...my head...
Kari: *whispers* Quiet, you. We've been captured by Björn's men.
Tom: *whispers* Oh. Hi, Kari. I can guess why they want me but why do they want you?
Kari: Probably because I eavesdrop whenever Björn's men come to your camp and warn ours. They think I have insider information or something.
Tom: You'll be free to go then once they discover you don't have any.
Kari: You're dumber than I thought! They'll kill me the moment they realise I'm worthless.
Tom: I doubt that. They want the tributes to keep coming. If they kill you, your camp will seek vengeance and at the moment, that can only end one way. That way also involves no more tribute. The island doesn't exactly have a high influx of new clans.
Kari: Whatever, know-it-all. I'm beginning to see what Aunt Moira sees in you. Well, don't try any of that intelligent charm on me. It won't work.
Tom: What has she said about me?
Kari: What hasn't she said, you mean? Tom this, Tom that. *spits*
Tom: Interesting.
Kari: How much do you like her, anyway?
Tom: I used to like her a lot.
Kari: What changed?
Tom: In the other timeline, she cheated on me and then expected me to be angry at her. I wasn't.
Kari: Is that it?
Tom: It's more that I realised I'd never be enough for her. She's too fickle. Prefers men with fire in their bellies.
Kari: That is our way.
Tom: Yes. I told her to find herself a dragon if she's into that.
Kari: Gross. Haha. So why are you keen on her again?
Tom: I'm undecided. When I died in the other timeline, she was still in love with me and I was very upset to leave her in that manner. It was very...final.
Kari: Well I don't wanna hear anything else about it, you hear me? I still don't see the attraction in relationships and men gross.
Tom: And you will continue to find men gross. You like women.
Kari: Thought so. But you'll tell no-one, you hear? It's frowned upon in Norse culture.
Tom: I know but seriously, your mum and dad were fine with it in the other timeline.
Kari: They knew? How?
Tom decided to keep quiet about him being the one who told Eirik.
Tom: There was another girl in camp by the name of Shanaw. She looked and acted about your age but she was nineteen. You both had a relationship. It started off as friendship but she soon broke down your boundaries. You two weren't exactly discreet about it.
Kari: Oh. Is she here, in this timeline?
Tom: I would have thought so.
Kari: Quiet! I hear footsteps.

Elsewhere on the island...
Eustache: So he just disappeared?
Eirik: It seems that way.
Cissé: Maybe he got lost.
Knut: I doubt it. He knows this island better than any of us. More likely he was captured.
Eustache: He's no loss. He could forage and cook. Without farming knowledge, that's about it. We can find someone else.
Eirik: I think we should find him. He knows things that could be very useful to us.
Eustache: Hey! Trygve! Is this your doing?
Trygve tried to run but Eustache was quicker. Eustache pounced and got him in a footlock, then picked him up by the scruff of the neck. Eirik blocked the doorway. Trygve spluttered and quaked.
Trygve: Please! Don't hurt me!
Eustache: Did you tip Björn off about Whatsisname?
Trygve: Tom? Yes. That's what I was sent here to do!
Eustache: Then why are you still here?
Trygve: Björn still wants me to be his eyes and ears here!
Eustache: Will we get him back after he's been interrogated?
Trygve: I doubt it. Whether he talks or not, he is as good as dead.
Eustache: Hear that, Eirik and Knut? He's as good as dead. I suggest we find a replacement. Hopefully an upgrade. Someone else who can heal.
Cissé: That would help me enormously. I do enjoy passing on my knowl-
Eustache: SHUT UP! 1) I DIDN'T ASK YOU; 2) IT'S NOT FOR YOUR BENEFIT!

Elsewhere...
Moira: Are you Shanaw?
Shanaw: How fire-hair woman know Shanaw name?
Moira: Mutual friend. Have you seen a Norse girl hereabouts? Scrawny thing, late teens. Short messy black hair, pale skin. Loves exploring, hunting and fighting. Impulsive.
Shanaw: Yes, Shanaw seen! Nasty men take her in there.
She pointed to Björn's camp.
Moira: We need to get her out of there.
Shanaw: Shanaw scared. Big man with skulls live there.
Moira: You'll want to. Trust me.
Shanaw: Why?
Moira: The girl is my niece, Kari. You two have a lot in common. I think you would get on very well...*winks*
Shanaw: Shanaw think know what fire-hair woman means...
Moira: Come. I live in a camp not far from here.
Shanaw: Any men?
Moira: No. That's the best part!
Shanaw: Shelter?
Moira: Wooden Norse house.
Shanaw: Shanaw not know what Norse or house mean but hut made of wood sound good.