Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

All I did was stare at the ceiling. And the notification on my phone that indicated I'd missed a call.

I was drained. The mental effort it took to keep my self from reaching over to the phone and picking it up or calling him just to hear his voice...

It was exhausting.

My mind was a swirling whirlpool of all thoughts Kri.

It was like a madness that had no cure. All day every day.

Kri. Kri. Kri. Kri. Kri. Kri. Kri. Kri.

I shake my head.

But despite my efforts, late into the evening, I can barely keep my eyes open. But the second I lay down, I can't sleep. Frustration crackles like electricity inside my veins.

What was this madness?

At the back of my lids I see his face. He's smiling at me. Then he's looking at me with hard icy blue eyes.

My phone rings.

I press my eyes closed and a single tear leaks. I'm tired and exhausted and I missed him. It's as if not seeing him at the end of the day made my day unworthy of existing. I suddenly hated myself for leaving.

I had to use every ounce of my rationale to remind myself why I did it.

The inside of my skin itched, the back of my throat is heavy, my eyes and head pound and my heart is ...

How was this possible?

Kri. Kri. Kri. Kri. Kri. Kri. Kri.

I had lived without his presence most of my life. But suddenly, it was as if I couldn't anymore. I turn on my back, staring up at the ceiling.

This was pure agony. Poured like liquid lava over my skin and into my veins.

But I promised myself that I would bring him out of this. That we would walk past this hell hand in hand and with one another when we reach the other side. And if five days of distance helped, then five days of distance is what we would do.

My phone rings again.

I can almost hear his voice in my head.

Alanna. My name sighed out in exasperation and resignation. His voice was so clear in my head, my heart sped up and I looked to see if he were here.

I drop my head back on my bed.

"Pearls don't lie on the seashore, Mrs. Kri. If you want one, you must dive for it." Houston chirps from my phone.

The words filter through without meaning before they start to slowly form together inside my head. I smile a small smile.

"That's a very sweet thing to say, Houston. Thank you."

"It's a Chinese proverb." She sounds excited. "I've always wanted to use that."

I laugh softly. The smile fades away.

"What's he doing?" I whisper.

Why was I asking?

"Would you truly like to know the answer Mrs. Kri?" Houston asks, showing more insight than I had given her credit for.

My brows raise. "Perhaps... not."

"All things are difficult before they are easy." Houston says.

I laugh, "Alright. That's enough proverbs for the day."

"Would you like to hear a proverb each day?" She asks, her 'happy' voice leaking through my speakers.

I drop an arm over my eyes. "Can I say no?"