Lafayette

You took a deep breath as you untied your corset. "I hate these things." You muttered as you took a few more deep breaths and continued getting ready for the night. Your mind began to wander to your husband, Gilbert du Motier- or most commonly referred to as Lafayette. You had met Gilbert in Philadelphia at a dinner and instantly connected; you married a year later. You continued to take off your dress when the door opened and you saw your husband standing there. You gasped and turned quickly before sighing. "You scared me, Lafayette." You said with a hand to your rapidly beating heart. "I'm sorry, my love. But this is urgent." He said as he closed the door and walked quickly to you. "What's wrong? Are you hurt? Do you feel well?" You asked as you placed your hand on his cheek. He grabbed it gently and placed a quick kiss to your wrist. "Yes, I'm fine." "Then what's wrong?" He pulled out of your grip and began pacing the floor. You knew that when he was like this, it was best to give him a few moments to collect his thoughts. You finished taking your hair out of its bun and quickly changed to your night dress behind the changing screen. When you stepped out, he was now sitting on the edge of the bed. You placed your dress over the back of the nearest chair and sat beside him. "Benedict Arnold has betrayed us." He said softly and you felt your breath hitch. "What?" He looked at you. "Benedict Arnold has betrayed us and I fear for General Washington. I have never seen him so distraught." You placed your hand in his. "Oh, Gilbert." You said softly. You placed your head on his shoulder and the two of you sat in silence. "General Washington is a strong and resilient man. I believe that he will win this war and you will be by his side when it happens. I also think Arnold will be treated worse by the very people he ran to." You said after a few moments." You felt Lafayette shift underneath you. "Continue." You looked up at him. "I assume that he left to receive more pay and recognition for his battle record. But the British would never give him what he is asking for, seeing as he's a traitor. He is assuming that they will just hand him everything he wants but I highly doubt they will. They will be wary of him and see him as nothing other than a traitor." You said and noticed a small smile on his face. "What?" "Nothing, mon amour. I simply love the way your mind works." You giggles as he leaned in for a kiss. It was gentle at first, but it was soon overcome with passion and longing. "Come to bed, my love." You whispered. He stood up, pulling you with him. You slowly helped him out of his uniform, taking time to appreciate this rare moment of it just being the two of you. "You're so beautiful, (Y/N)." He whispered in your ear and your face warmed up. "I mean it. You are the most beautiful woman in this world, and you are all mine." He said before trailing a line of kisses down your jaw and towards the base of your neck. "Mhmm. And you are devilishly handsome, Gilbert du Motier." You whispered. He smiled and picked you up before carrying you to the bed. "When all of this is over, I will whisk you away to France." He said before kissing you. "And we will begin our family." He kissed you again. "And we will be together until the end of our long and happy lives." You chuckled as he kissed you again. "I will hold you to that, husband." You said with a lazy smile. He wrapped his arms around your waist and pulled you to him. You tucked a strand of hair out of his face and watched as his eyes slowly closed until the sound of his deep breathing filled the room. "I love you." You whispered as you placed a kiss to cheek. You adjusted so your head was on his chest and quickly fell asleep.