Abraham Woodhull

As you took down the last of the laundry on the line, you looked out on the water and sighed. Your childhood friends had taken up arms and joined the Continental army; you had no idea if they were alright or if you'd ever see them again. You were drawn out of your thoughts by the sound of a child's laughter. You looked down and saw Thomas giggling and playing with a few things you gave him. Ever since Mary, Abraham's wife, passed away from illness 6 months ago, you offered to watch him during the day so Abraham could work. You and Abe have been best friends since you were children, but it wasn't until Abe announced his marriage to Mary that you realized your feelings had grown into much more. You smiled and squatted down to his level. "What is so funny? Hmm?" You asked and picked him up. "What is so funny?" He kept giggling and you couldn't help but chuckle. "He only laughs like that with you, you know." You turned and saw Abraham walking towards you. "Look, it's your father." You said softly and Abe took Thomas from your arms. You felt your heart skip a beat as you watched them. "I can see so much of him in you, Abe." He gave you a smile. "(Y/N), can I ask you something?" He seemed nervous. "Of course. What's wrong?" He placed Thomas down before meeting your gaze. "Are you... happy?" You were confused. "Happy? In Setauket? I don't understand, Abe." He sighed and took his beanie off his head. "(Y/N), we've been friends since we were children. And since Mary died...." He wrung his beanie in his hands. You gently took one of his hands in yours and gave him a soft smile. "Abe, you know you can tell me anything. What's wrong?"  He looked into your eyes and took a deep breath. "Marry me." Your eyes went wide. "What did you say?" He took your other hand and pulled you closer. "Marry me, (Y/N). Thomas needs a mother and you are so good to him and I-" He took a deep breath. "I love you, (Y/N)." You blinked a few times. "Oh, Abraham." You wiped your eye with the back of your hand. "I love you too. Yes!" He smiled and pulled you into a hug. You pulled back and kissed him. One of his hands traveled down to your waist and the other cupped the side of your face. After a few moments, he pulled back and rested his forehead on yours. "Stay for dinner." You said breathlessly. "How can I say no to my wife?" He responded cheekily and you  blushed. He kissed your forehead before picking up Thomas, while you picked up the basket of laundry and walked inside together.